Nearly "That" Time Once Again - Safari Update

The year moves on, Summer is slowly turning into Autumn and that can mean only one thing - the Rut is nearly upon us!

It was fairly quiet out and about when I went to check the rutting area, but this magnificent fella was staking an early claim

The ladies and last year's youngsters were mooching around as well, keeping an eye on us

More will start to drift in over the next few days as things start to get busier.  We normally like to see a few cold nights to kick things off, but the forecast is more soggy than frosty

But rest assured, the players are all in place :-)

• Lovely photos. Looks like the 4x4 deer safaris could be very successful. Please note that these tours have all been fully booked for several weeks. We open the bookings around 1 July each year, so please book early next year to avoid disappointment. You can, of course, still watch the deer from the public footpaths. Please ask for a map at reception, where our volunteers will be happy to direct you to the best areas to watch from.
  • Has the Stag been sharpening up the tips on his antlers ready for the action I wonder, fabulous photos WJ.
  • More stags started to appear over the weekend, mostly youngsters, but some bigger ones have been spotted around the reedbed hides, so it looks like they're on their way.  Until they arrive, the young pretenders will get the chance to strut their stuff a bit

Not sure what's happened to this chap though - looks like he's had a bit of an accident!  I hope he doesn't try arguing with another stag, being lopsided he'll undoubtedly get injured.  Makes me want to do a bit of Photo-shoppery to re-instate him!

Some youngsters are still a bit spotty...

And some of the ladies are a bit fussy with food - all that grass and she simply HAS to have a bit of tree!

The big boys are licking their lips over the pretty girls

And posing nicely for the cameras

Some of the ladies are keeping out of the way

And just as a test for the car enthusiasts, a small prize will be awarded to the person able to identify the truck from the bunny's eyeball reflection :-)

• Loving the photos WJ. Poor guy with the one antler, hope he keeps away from those fellows with the multi pointed ones! Well the lady has to have the best of food to get her in tip top condition! As for the bunnies eye, are you having a laugh! I enlarged as much as possible and can only see a blue blur!
  • Things are starting to warm up a bit more now - as the temperature drops!  Though some ladies aren't keen and leave

Followed by last year's young

A little "Knobber" is hanging out near the herd

But he's nowhere near big enough to challenge the big boys!

No doubting who's in charge at the moment!

• Fabulous photos WJ, they are all looking in good shape especially that last one, here's hoping for a good season for all of them.
  • fantastic photos WJ - if you could just ask them to pose nicely Saturday......
  • Mr WJ asked me to pose nicely for you so I hope this is nice enough, I thought I'd frame myself  as well for that arty look

• Mr WJ asked me to pose nicely for you so I hope this is nice enough, I thought I'd frame myself  as well for that arty look

• not entirely sure how I duplicated that ....