Planning a visit to Minsmere.

between 29 January and 5 February 2020, Mrs Bob will be sunning herself in Fuerteventura with her sisters. That gives me a free wee and I think I might visit Norfolk and suffolk. What delights would Minsmere be likely to hold for me during those short winter days? If I am really lucky the tides will be with me as I pass Snettisham on the way up or down. Any other recommendations gratefully received.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• Although the Pesky Bittern season (where they fish in front of the hide all day) is likely to have passed, you're still likely to get good sightings as the reeds will be nice & short; Marsh Harriers of course (they're guaranteed unless you have your eyes shut). Snipe searching is always a favourite pastime in the winter, plenty of duck on the scrapes, scattered waders. Otters with patience. If the weather's particularly good, Adders are a possibility (I'd normally say middle of Feb for those, but they'll be out if it's a warm week I'm sure). Red Deer, especially out the back of the reserve. Last winter we had Dartford Warblers on the beach all winter - and they've bred successfully there this year (so good possibility we'll have a number over-wintering again). Beardies in the reed bed if they're feeling sociable, all the regular woodland birds of course.
    It's probably too early for the trips to be up on the booking system, but I think there's likely to be a trip available to Havergate Island whilst you're in the area (normally the first Saturday of the month, namely the 1st Feb). There you'll get Hares as well as the ducks & waders - normally loads of Avocet too (they hang around the estuaries in winter) and Spoonies quite likely.

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Whistling Joe said:
    Although the Pesky Bittern season (where they fish in front of the hide all day) is likely to have passed, you're still likely to get good sightings as the reeds will be nice & short; Marsh Harriers of course (they're guaranteed unless you have your eyes shut). Snipe searching is always a favourite pastime in the winter, plenty of duck on the scrapes, scattered waders. Otters with patience. If the weather's particularly good, Adders are a possibility (I'd normally say middle of Feb for those, but they'll be out if it's a warm week I'm sure). Red Deer, especially out the back of the reserve. Last winter we had Dartford Warblers on the beach all winter - and they've bred successfully there this year (so good possibility we'll have a number over-wintering again). Beardies in the reed bed if they're feeling sociable, all the regular woodland birds of course.
    It's probably too early for the trips to be up on the booking system, but I think there's likely to be a trip available to Havergate Island whilst you're in the area (normally the first Saturday of the month, namely the 1st Feb). There you'll get Hares as well as the ducks & waders - normally loads of Avocet too (they hang around the estuaries in winter) and Spoonies quite likely.

Excellent response - sounds like i could easily spend 3 days there, especially if I can book the Havergate trip. Will start scouting out accommodation etc.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• The Eels Foot Inn at Eastbridge is a good place to eat - reasonable walking distance. I see they do rooms too.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018

• In reply to SheilaFE:

SheilaFE said:
    The Eels Foot Inn at Eastbridge is a good place to eat - reasonable walking distance. I see they do rooms too.

yes we stayed there last time we visited and i am just waiting for a response from them. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob