First visit next weekend- suggestions?

Hi everyone,

We have booked a weekend in Suffolk for my birthday weekend and having never been to Minsmere before would love some suggestions of the best route around the reserve, or places not to miss while we are there. Thank you for any advice and help you can offer.  One thing I would love to see is a Dartford Warbler.

Regards,

Carol

• I'm here! :-)
    When will you be around Carol? If it's in the next week or two, the route with most to see will be:-
    Digger Alley - it will get will get more and more interesting over the next few weeks.
    North Wall - look for Clearwings
    East Hide - loads on the scrape, look out for some predation too!
    The Dunes - lots of Linnet, Stonechat and Dartford Warblers
    South Hide - cutie alert (if they don't get eaten!). Young Little Tern, Common Tern & Avocet on there the other day when I looked.
    Back to Visitor Centre via Wildlife Lookout & the woodland.
    The Bittern Hide/Island Mere loop is worthwhile for Marsh Harrier & Bittern - and Hobbies too. Maybe an Otter if you're lucky. Bearded Tits if the wind isn't blowing too hard. As Alan suggested, you'll get a feel for what's about from Ian's blogs or the threads that I (amongst others) put up on here from time to time. It does vary a lot across the year though, so the date's definitely the key bit of info :-)

ETA - Although you can pick up a map in Reception, there's a downloadable version on here as well.  Digger Alley is the bit of path running alongside North Bushes

• Thank you so much, both of you.

We will be at the reserve on the 6th and 7th of July, and leaving to come home to Cambridgeshire on the 8th (my birthday).

I will download the map and check out your suggestions.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Carol
  • Both Mrs WJ and myself should be around that weekend, so you'll probably bump into one or both of us :-)
  • Oh that would be terrific. We will be easy to spot as I will have the camera etc, and hubby has a long white beard LOL.
  • Hi Carol
    WJ has given you a pretty good summary of what's around at the moment. If you pop into the visitor centre on arrival our reception team will happily direct you towards the best locations, which can vary from day to day. Aim to spend as long as possible here to make the most of your visit. If it's a sunny day then visit East Hide in the morning for the best of the light. The Scrape hides usually offer a good variety of gulls, terns, waders, ducks and geese, while the reedbed hides offer the best chance of species such as otter, bittern, bearded tit and marsh harrier.
    For Dartford warbler, there's a chance on the dunes where a couple of pairs have bred this year, but you have a better chance on Westleton Heath or Dunwich Heath. Early morning is often best for them.
    Good luck
  • Thank you Ian. That sounds wonderful. I can't wait!
  • A quick question. I don't see Digger Alley on the map. Could you share its location please?

Regards,

Carol
  • Digger Alley is marked by signage when you get there. It is between the junction to North Hide and the start of the North Wall.
  • Hi Carole, lots of good suggestions from WJ and Ian but I would also suggest Dunwich Heath next door, its NT but you can also get good views of Dartford Warblers and other LBJ's.