First visit next weekend- suggestions?

Hi everyone,

We have booked a weekend in Suffolk for my birthday weekend and having never been to Minsmere before would love some suggestions of the best route around the reserve, or places not to miss while we are there. Thank you for any advice and help you can offer.  One thing I would love to see is a Dartford Warbler.

Regards,

Carol

Parents
  • I'm here! :-)
    When will you be around Carol? If it's in the next week or two, the route with most to see will be:-
    Digger Alley - it will get will get more and more interesting over the next few weeks.
    North Wall - look for Clearwings
    East Hide - loads on the scrape, look out for some predation too!
    The Dunes - lots of Linnet, Stonechat and Dartford Warblers
    South Hide - cutie alert (if they don't get eaten!). Young Little Tern, Common Tern & Avocet on there the other day when I looked.
    Back to Visitor Centre via Wildlife Lookout & the woodland.
    The Bittern Hide/Island Mere loop is worthwhile for Marsh Harrier & Bittern - and Hobbies too. Maybe an Otter if you're lucky. Bearded Tits if the wind isn't blowing too hard. As Alan suggested, you'll get a feel for what's about from Ian's blogs or the threads that I (amongst others) put up on here from time to time. It does vary a lot across the year though, so the date's definitely the key bit of info :-)

ETA - Although you can pick up a map in Reception, there's a downloadable version on here as well.  Digger Alley is the bit of path running alongside North Bushes

• I'm here! :-)
    When will you be around Carol? If it's in the next week or two, the route with most to see will be:-
    Digger Alley - it will get will get more and more interesting over the next few weeks.
    North Wall - look for Clearwings
    East Hide - loads on the scrape, look out for some predation too!
    The Dunes - lots of Linnet, Stonechat and Dartford Warblers
    South Hide - cutie alert (if they don't get eaten!). Young Little Tern, Common Tern & Avocet on there the other day when I looked.
    Back to Visitor Centre via Wildlife Lookout & the woodland.
    The Bittern Hide/Island Mere loop is worthwhile for Marsh Harrier & Bittern - and Hobbies too. Maybe an Otter if you're lucky. Bearded Tits if the wind isn't blowing too hard. As Alan suggested, you'll get a feel for what's about from Ian's blogs or the threads that I (amongst others) put up on here from time to time. It does vary a lot across the year though, so the date's definitely the key bit of info :-)

ETA - Although you can pick up a map in Reception, there's a downloadable version on here as well.  Digger Alley is the bit of path running alongside North Bushes

Children