Sunny Day at the end of October

Wednesday 24th October 2018

Day at Minsmere

WEATHER

14’C in car when we arrived. Bright Sunshine Sun is low in the Sky this time of year.

It was warm enough to walk (in my case Ride) round with Coats on, but later in the afternoon, it started to get chilly.

Walking down from the Car Park to the Visitors Centre there were birds singing in the Trees all the way along the Path. The Feeder outside the Visitor Centre was busy with birds going backwards and forwards to it from the Tree and there were some Squirrels trying to get on the Feeder too.

The Birds on the Birdfeeder were Chaffinch, Goldfinch, and Coal Tit.

The sun was shining right in the cafes window the warmth of made you think it was summer not near to the end of October. The Oak Tree opposite the café was full of Blue Tit, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Chaffinches, and Goldfinches they were visiting the Feeder that are hanging near the café. The ground under the feeder was busy with Dunnocks and when it thought the coast was clear a Robin would dart out of the Bushes the quickly dart back in to eat the seed that it found.

After we had left the café our first visit was to round the back of the pond to see if there were many new Flying Agaric that have appeared in the week and we were not disappointed.

Flying Agaric

I think the Nickname for the Flying Agaric is the Fairy Mushroom. If it is I think they are building a Fairy’s Village behind the pond, there is a lot that has popped up this week from when I was here last week.

The walk along North Wall to the end was like a day in summer with big Blue Sky, puffy white clouds above. 

North Wall

The North Hide is still hard for me to see any bird life on the Scrape; however, I did get a flying display of Dragonflies, Damselflies, and Small Moth that were darting around the Reed Bed. If there is not much bird left out on the Scrape, it is always a good idea to look closer to where you are standing because nine time out of ten you will be missing something. I laugh and say come down to my world there is always something to see.  Going back along the North Hide path I noticed the Parasol Mushroom that I have been trying to get a Photo of each week has now came to the end.

Parasol Mushroom

We sat outside for Lunch again this week, the sun was warm I could feel the warmth through my Jumper. The Woodland Walk had a layer of Leaves and in places; you could see where something has been searching through the Leaves. We saw a family of Swans feeding as we were make our way down to the Sluice; they were near the opening where the sign saids Bittern food that is just before you get to the Wildlife Hide.

Family of Mute Swans

While we were at the Sluice, we had a couple of Cormorants Fly over the Scrape.

It was nice sitting down at the Sluice the sun was shining on the Scrape and when we looked the other way towards the Bittern Hide, it was standing out in the sun. It was not as warm as this morning, but this time of year, it will start to get cooler in the afternoons.

Looking over the South Scrape, we could see a large group of people standing on the North Wall path. Little later, we found out that they were watch a Little Bitten, before we left we thought we would see if we would be lucky to see the Little Bittern. But we were not lucky this time.

While we were sitting in the South Hide, we saw Little Egret, Pheasant, Snipe, and Black tailed Godwit.

While we were in the Wildlife Hide, we saw Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Teal, and Wigeon.