Deer Safari Sneak Peek

October is just around the corner, which means it's almost time for the Deer Safaris to start again.  For those unfamiliar with them, this is where visitors get the chance to be driven out into the back of the reserve, normally off-limits at this time of year, in one of the Reserve's 4x4s.  It's an area of the reserve most aren't even aware of - there are no hides or walking trails out there - and was once upon a time part of a local farm.  The RSPB is slowly reverting it to acid grassland and heath to replace the mostly-lost Suffolk Sandlings habitat.  The mixture of grazing and browsing opportunities is perfect for the Red Deer, with the open areas of the old fields ideal to herd your ladies together and keep a watchful eye on them.

It doesn't take long to spot a stag with some hinds - the young stag on the left will get chased off as the Rut kicks off in earnest, he'll be no competition for the big boys

It's actually the ladies who call the shots, if they decide to move, the chaps have to follow

Some hinds are still suckling their youngsters, born March-July typically

This one must have been quite late - it's still spotty.  All together now, Ahhh!

Other deer are about - little Muntjac are the ones you're most likely to see

But you do need eyes everywhere, as drifting overhead you often get Buzzards

And Red Legged Partridges shelter in the long grasses

Stags past the "Knobber" stage (ie just little knobs for antlers) seem to like hanging out in the gorse bushes, like this 8-pointer (it counts as a point if you can get a wedding ring on it)

As the sun gets hotter after lunch, the deer retreat to the shade once more, where they blend in with the background remarkably easily for such large animals

What did I tell you about remembering to look up?  Buzzard's back

Finally, the view you inevitably get when watching the deer - them disappearing over the horizon after they get fed up of you!

• Great photos and post WJ and yes, it will soon be hotting up in deer world and also at our local Tatton Park  so time to dig out the 2 x extender out unless I want to feel one of those antlers in my flesh lol     Joking apart, a very dangerous season to approach the deer too closely and despite our park signs you still see folk going up to stags to capture pics on their mobile phones !     The best way as you mention is to book on one of the dedicated deer rutting events with the experienced park rangers.    The reds are magnificent and impressive animals as your photos show to the full;   love the little spotty Bambi Red !    I used to think they were fallow with those spots  lol  

• It is dangerous, people really don't seem to understand how fired up the stags especially can get.  We had a sobering reminder on the way back to the Visitor Centre when we came across a stag killed in a fight - it happens every year (and remember, the Rut has barely started really).  So long lenses and plenty of respect are essential.

Talking to Ian in reception later in the day, it appears all the Safaris are booked this year already, but there are plans to man a watchpoint at the back of the reserve to help people get a view - doubtless he'll provide info or a map here on the website at some stage (or Reception will have directions).  Once all the Rut safaris are finished, you can even hire a guide for your own personal tour if you're keen to see these more isolated parts of the reserve (I'm a mine of useful info today!)

• Interesting info WJ,   I imagine the safaris are very popular and not surprise they are already fully booked.  Our local Tatton Park for anyone close enough to attend seems to be advertising the rut especially for photographers HERE

Looking forward to seeing the deer again (from safe distance ! )  we are lucky that it is only fifteen/twenty minute walk away from home.   

• Enjoyable Photo MR WJ. It was good was good you see you and Mrs WJ yesterday Lunch time.

• Great pictures WJ, something to look forward to, we are booked for the weekend of Oct 20th. I assume that weather will not play such a part as it does getting to Havergate.

• nickbarn said:

It was good was good you see you and Mrs WJ yesterday Lunch time.

Likewise Nick - lovely bit of sunshine to sit in too :-)
    Tony T said:

Great pictures WJ, something to look forward to, we are booked for the weekend of Oct 20th. I assume that weather will not play such a part as it does getting to Havergate.

Bad weather can be a bonus actually - cold and wet brings them out more.  Whilst us photographers may like a bit of sunshine to work in, the deer like it a bit cooler :-)  I should see you that day - well, the Saturday certainly
  • Is it that time of the year already?  can't believe it.   Great thread WJ and  all the deer look fit and healthy and ready for the coming season, your buzzard shots are terrific especially full screen with their plumage showing so clearly, and isn't the red-legged partridge a pretty bird.