My local RSPB Group will be visiting Marshside in May 2020.

My local RSPB Group from North East England will be visiting Marshside in May 2020 of which I’ve never visited before on my RSPB Groups annual birdwatching week long holiday visiting a number of birdwatching areas in Cumbria and Lancashire. As well my Group will also be visiting Leighton Moss, which we have visited lots of times on day trips over the years, along with visiting South Walney reserve, as well as Martin Mere and Foulshaw reserve to see the Ospreys. It will be different to this years bird watching holiday in the Outer Hebrides in May 2019. I don’t know much about RSPB reserve Marshside. Does anyone have any information about Marshside reserve in the Southport area?

• Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting in touch. You can find the downloadable map of the site on the website here, which will give you an idea of your bearings. www.rspb.org.uk/.../marshside_trail_guide.pdf

In terms of sightings, in spring the site is known for its flocks of breeding waders such as lapwings and avocets. We also get a lot of egrets, with cattle and great egrets becoming a regular feature with the littles. Drop an email to the site nearer the time to discover if anything unusual is about: ribble.reserves@rspb.org.uk

You could also visit our other nearby reserve Hesketh Out Marsh too: www.rspb.org.uk/heskethoutmarsh
    Site map: www.rspb.org.uk/.../hesketh_out_marsh_trail_guide.pdf

Enjoy your trip!
  • Marshside is within easy striking distance for me so I go a few times a year.
    Referring to Annabel's maps: The best time to do the Redshank path is probably at high tide when the birds congregate closer in, otherwise they can be spread out all over the mudflats and it's possible you won't see anything near by, although in May I think there will still be loads of Skylarks out on the salt marsh. However, if you have to choose only one walk, then I'd do the Cossens circuit or Rimmer's Route. There are often lots of birds at the back of the reserve which you won't see from any hide. Keep an eye open for Hares, too.