• Knots fear not

The big ‘spring’ tides of the autumn blow in again soon (seasons can get confusing can't they!) and the birds are even more mobile than usual.

On the September spring tides our Marshside guided walk participants enjoyed some great close-up views of knots and dunlins out on the estuary.  I wonder if the bird in the photo was just too tired to fly away after its incredible journey from perhaps as far away…

• Superb sparrowhawk

Here are a few photos taken yesterday of this very obliging juvenile sparrowhawk. The photos were taken from the Visitor Centre (Sandgrounders hide) where it spent most of the morning, either feeding on a previous kill or resting to let it's food go down with a good preen as well.

• Blue winged teal photos as promised

As promised here are a couple of photos taken by local birder Neill Hunt who spotted the bird first. Thanks Neill.

• Marshside first?

It was certainly a first for me! Blue winged teal at Junction pool screen today at midday doing exactly what it says in the book; associating with shovelers. Consensus from the birding crowd was that it was an adult female. According to BTO the last record of these American birds turning up in the area was in 1992. Photo hopefully to follow shortly. 

Mainly large numbers of Black-tailed godwits on Suttons marsh with a few…

• Everyday changes

I just paused on the coast road to look across the vastness of the estuary in the hope of either the short-eared owl seen last week or one of the marsh harriers (a male is around as well as a few juveniles).  Quite sensibly, raptors were not bothering to fly in what was turning into quite a gale.  What I did see was quite as marvellous – a flock of 110 swallows tightly bunched and swooping low over the sea aster. 

• MEP visits world class wildlife site

MEP Jacqueline Foster meets Tony Baker RSPBJacqueline Foster MEP has been to visit one of Europe’s most important sites for wildlife.

On Friday 20th July, the MEP for North West England, experienced the wealth of bird life currently residing at RSPB’s Marshside reserve, near Southport on the Ribble Estuary.

Protected under European Union law, RSPB Marshside is vital as a stopover for thousands of migratory water birds making their way south to sunnier…

• Member of the European Parliament meets European wildlife

Member of the European Parliament meets European wildlife
    The sand-winning works that used to dominate the Southport seafront near Marshside has long since vanished, but on Tuesday 7th August Brian Simpson MEP was delighted to see that shovelers were still around at Marshside.
    Brian and his wife had come to visit RSPB’s Marshside reserve where shoveler ducks, a summer visitor to the UK that overwinters in southern Europe…

• Spring tides hit the Ribble

Visitors are invited to the RSPB’s Marshside and Hesketh Out Marsh nature reserves to witness the high “spring” tides and the spectacular wildlife spectacle they bring to the Ribble estuary. 

Spring tides actually occur every month but are particularly large in both spring and autumn. An increase in the moon’s gravitational pull takes the tide both further in and further out, completely flooding the…

• Avocets are back!

Two Avocets arrived back at the reserve today. They were first seen in front of Sandgrounders hide on Suttons Marsh this morning but have since moved over to Rimmers Marsh and can be seen from Nels hide or the half way screen.

• Hedge-laying at Marshside

R SPB Marshside’s regular volunteers had a helping hand on Sunday from a team of enthusiasts from the Wirral Countryside Volunteers.  The WCV brought along some experienced hedge-layers to lay a section of hawthorn hedge alongside Marshside Road which crosses the Nature Reserve. The hedgerow, which was planted by RSPB staff some fifteen years ago has now reached the ideal size for laying.  

Hedge-laying is a traditional…

• CUTTING BACK THE SCRUB – HOW AND WHY WE DO IT

We carry out this kind of management on most of our reserves every year but we sometimes forget that it is not familiar to everyone and can shock and upset some of our visitors.

The scrub around the fringes of the reserve is an important habitat for some of our smaller birds as well as for a lot of other wildlife.  We manage the habitat with two key bird species in mind, linnet and reed bunting, as well as for all the…

• Wet and Windy but still great for wildlife

Today was very wet and windy on the reserve with the odd hail shower added for good measure, but the wildlife (birds especially) definitely made up for it.

Views from Sandgrounder's out  across the marsh were difficult first thing but eight European white fronted geese were spotted in amongst the pink feet.

The usual Water rail made fleeting dashes out in the open seemingly undeterred by the Sparrow hawk sat right…

• Last minute decision paid off

As I was about to leave Marshside today I thought I'll just check the saltmarsh from the end of the sand works. I'm glad i did!

First was a Peregrine perched up, then a buzzard also perched up, then a Marsh Harrier flying/hunting over the marsh and then a Kestrel also hunting. But the best was when the Buzzard decided to leave its perch only to be mobbed by the first Harrier joined by a second. The Buzzard dropped…

• Osprey over marsh

Wow today I have seen my first osprey over the reserve. It disturbed a group of about twenty curlews and plenty of lapwings, as it came across the reserve heading inland towards Churchtown and beyond. Did anyone see it over at Martin Mere?
    Pink feet numbers have dramatically increased from the eight I saw yesterday, there were over 200 on the marsh, just outside the reserve boundary though on Crossens inner marsh.
  • Pink Feet have landed

This morning I have seen 8 Pink-footed geese on Suttons Marsh. These are the first I have seen this Autumn on the reserve, although a small flock were seen flying over the reserve back in August by the previous reserve warden, these are the first that have landed!

The RSPB are asking everyone to help spot returning geese this Autumn/Winter. You can report your own goose sightings via Twitter using #goosewatch or by e-mail…

• Black Tern at Sandgrounders

Yesterdays winds brought a Juvenile Black Tern to the reserve. It was seen at midday on Suttons marsh heading south across the reserve. Good but short views of it in front of the hide and over Rainford's lagoon before it headed onto Rimmers Marsh. The same bird was later seen, again in front of the hide at about 7pm.

At Nels hide 1100 Teal, 17 Shoveler (plus another 10 at Junction pool, 8 Gadwall, 8 Wigeon, 3 Pintail…

• The Pink-feet have arrived!

Admitedly only a vanguard of 8 but the heart quickens, ears tune. The same volunteer also reported 2 Lesser Black-backs, 20+ Black-tailed Godwits, a mixed flock of 70 Ringed Plover & Dunlin on Polly's Pool and 1 redshank) and a Little Stint on Rainford's Lagoon.  30+ Goldfinch on teasel, 220 Greylag, 200 Canada and a distant Sparrow-hawk. Barnacle and Bar-headed Goose, Gadwall and Teal. A single distant Swift…

• Is Autumn here?

Do 20+ Curlews, 80+ Lapwing, one Pink footed Goose, one Golden Plover and two Snipe mean it is autumn already?

There were also good views of a Merlin hunting out on the marsh this afternoon. Common and Green Sandpiper were seen as well.

• Avocet chicks

This year two Avocet chicks successfully fledged on the reserve. We still have Avocets with chicks at our Hesketh Out Marsh just up the road if you missed seeing these iconic birds at Marshside. Telescopes are recommended though as the views are unfortunately not as close as you get here. 

Three Common sandpipers and a Curlew Sandpiper were showing well at Sandgrounders today, Curlew numbers have been slowly building…

• Closest views you'll get...

One Avocet chick has been pleasing visitors with the closest views you are likey to to get. It has been feeding so close to the hide that it often went out of view under the windows.

This picture was taken on thursday but the family were still there today.

Today joining the Avocet family out on the reserve were the usual Lapwing, Redshank, lots of Black headed gulls and chicks. There was also a Common sandpiper and…

• Spoonbill surprise

Today visitors are been treated to an unusual sight on the reserve. A Spoonbill can be clearly seen from Sandgrounders feeding at the edge of Rainfords lagoon.

There are also good views of Avocets and chicks, Redshank, Lapwing and lots of Black headed gull chicks.

• Love nature at Marshside

There are great views of the surviving Avocet chick in front of Sandgrounders hide (you don't even need binoculars it is that close). Best views in the country?!! Unfortunately earlier in the week we lost the other two chicks but this well one is doing well so fingers crossed!!!

There are another 11 Avocet nests on Rainfords lagoon. Some are due to hatch any day now.

A Little gull has been seen this morning from…

• Chicks and more chicks

There are three new Avocet chicks in front of Sandgrounders hide this morning, the chicks which hatched out yesterday are been closely guarded by their parents as they learn how to feed in the shallow water.  There are also many other chicks to keep a close eye out for. Tiny Redshank chicks have been spotted a distance from the hide, they easily disappear in the tufty grass so if you see an adult redshank spend a moment looking…

• Excellent day for waders

As well as the fantastic views of the Avocet chicks at Sandgrounders hide. There were also two Little ringed plover on the islands this morning.

A spotted redshank has been showing well at Junction pool, over 30 Dunlin and numerous Redshank and Lapwing all enjoying the afternoon sun at Nel's Hide.

• Nursery up-date

This morning the 3 Avocet chicks hatched on the island in front of Sandgrounders' Hide took to the choppy water one after another in brilliant sunshine,the parents doing a good job of seeing off other water fowl that ventured near. Photographers must have some excellent shots-hope some end up here. Opportunities like this are rare considering the predators lurking-there was a Great Black-back not too far away. Is this…