MANTON BAY - AUGUST 2023 to end of FEBRUARY 2024

Continued from Manton Bay - July 2023  

Details about the Manton Bay nest can be found on the season’s opening post.      

The season so far:  Blue 33(11) returned March 16 @ 12:58 and Maya on March 19 @ 06:54.  Maya has laid four eggs - Apr 4 @ 15:52, April 7 @ 09:04, April 10 @ 07:03 and April 13 @ 08:08.  38 days later on May 12 @ 08:18 the first chick hatched followed by chick #2 on May 14 @ 06:36 and chick #3 was first seen @ 05:45 on May 17.  Chick #4 hatched on May 18 @ 18:53 and not long after a live fish was delivered to the nest causing havoc and the little chick died the following morning.   On June 24, the chicks were ringed – Blue 3H3(F), Blue 3H4(M) and Blue 3H5(F) and their vitals can found here.   On 3 July @ 09:24 Blue 3H3 fledged followed by Blue 3H5 on 6 July @ 10:23 and Blue 3H4 on 9 July @ 06:12.

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust 

And now the month has come when one by one the chicks, who have been spending their days strengthening their wings and practicing their flying skills readying themselves for the epic journey that lies ahead, will set off south.  But they are well prepared having had the best possible start in life under the care and protection of their fantastic parents, Maya and Blue 33(11).   But until that day comes, let’s enjoy their time with us.

• Karen wrote the following post at 3 Sep 2023 2:26 PM:

Maya is still here!!

Rutland posted on their Facebook page about 3 hours ago she was seen this morning!

I just went to record it from rollback so's to have a (probaby) farewell video - only to find that it was a misleading post, it was yesterday, the 2nd, so it's now lost in the mists of time SmirkHugging

What fish was that?  EDIT - Oh, a trout.

I've painted out the big smudges but can't paint in the ripples on the water - I tried snapping a section on the left an putting it on the right, but you need Photoshop to blend it in...  It's awful being an incompetent perfectionist Rofl

IMAGICAT

• Hi Scylla,

Maya has not been seen on the nest today.

Rutland's FB post and also Bart's link above show Maya and the fish she caught which she brought to the nest yesterday and I posted stills off which are on the previous page.

These stills are the last captures of Maya seen on the nest.

The Rutland FB post said they had seen her this morning but they don't say where :-)
  • Karen W said:
    Maya has not been seen on the nest today.

Etc etc...

Thank you, KAREN Kissing heart

Oh well, it's been a happy/educative/frustrating half-hour working and re-working on that snap Stuck out tongue winking eye

IMAGICAT

• Many thanks for info and link Bart

• Well.. I guess Maya has left too.. Fly safe and be well! Gonna miss you both!

Thank you everyone for this blog, with a special thanks to Karen ofc for all of the daily observations and screen shots :-)
    It was a real pleasure
  • Thank you to you Bart and Karen for all the superb coverage on this nest. A whole lot of time and effort has been put in to record the whole, very long season. The stars of the show, 33 and Maya managing again to raise three beautiful, healthy chicks, all fledging and on their way south. It has been a pleasure to follow through your photos, videos and information. Much appreciated. HuggingClap
  • Glider said:
    Thank you to you Bart and Karen for all the superb coverage on this nest. A whole lot of time and effort has been put in to record the whole, very long season.

Thank you, Glider - I can't put it better StarStar

IMAGICAT

• Thanks for your kind comments but it has been a pleasure following this extraordinary pair - just wish I had had more time!  

Meantime from Rutland Facebook - confirmation of last sighting of Maya and her departure south.  

So the family has gone and I wish them all a safe journey and return.

I will do my usual end of season summary later this week as still busy with house renovations.

• Here here! Incredible, Legendary , Awesome Maya.
    This morning I held a young greenfinch in my hand as it expired after crashing into our patio window. Such tender little beings but also capable of such amazing feats when luck is on their side.