GLASLYN - March/April 2023

All pictures and videos ©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

After the tragedy of 2021, the 2022 Season was a great success, with 3 beautiful youngsters fledging and migrating - Blue 497, 498 and 499 (courtesy of Glider):

Here's to the safe return of our precious pair, MrsG (thank you MaryGK for the original snap) and Aran:

GLASLYN YOUTUBE CHANNEL - where the latest live stream links can always be found.

Today, this year's indispensable volunteers gathered to give us a Group Wave, and I thought we should pay tribute to them here:

(How sparse this seems for a season OP - but it's all I've got to give.  I think we need the new thread sooner rather than later, being mindful of the likelihood of Dovey Devils and/or Clywedog Kids swooping in RoflBlue heart )

• 14 April

Aran is on the nest but no sign of female yet.

GOODNIGHT !!!

• SOS      

Scylla are you able to help please? see info below from Chat  but sadly nobody seem to record the time

Lorna MG@SWRural - Z1 landed briefly on the nest yesterday. With a fish. Aran arrived and chased him. Fish was dropped from the sky and nearly hit the female.

Lorna MGThen Aran flew over her very low and she thought(?) he was dive bombing her, maybe. She got a fright and took off
  • Morning Cirrus,
    I just read that as well. Scrolling the chat back a little way, there was also this comment

8:04 AM
    Kukelke
    Yesterday, after Tegid's visit, Aran was skydancing first, then landed on the nest. Shortly after 2 ospreys flew left to right in the background, chasing each other.

I wonder if Heather will produce a video of the occurrence? It's a shame the approximate time wasn't mentioned 

Edit: Son of Monty and Glesni, brother of dear, sweet Ceri (RIP).  Z1(16) Tegid - on a nest in Snowdonia and it has been stated that his female is back too

• Glider said:

Lovely tributes to Mrs G. ️ ️ The one and only.

I’m pretty sure that Mrs G Junior is the same bird that was with LJ2 at Brenig from 1st - 4th April when LM6 arrived and chased her off. 

Her behaviour on the nest is very much the same and I’ve tried to match head and wing markings. Of course, Brenig’s resolution is only 720 so not such a sharp image as Glaslyn’s 1080HD and somehow it was sunny at the beginning of April! 

My screenshots and a still of her wing taken from Scylla’s video.

The white mark on the forehead looks like a tick from this angle and almost like a white cross on side of the beak.

=========================================

Glider, your comparison pics of the female show very striking resemblances. Thinking 

Many thanks for your hard work Hugging

• 10:50 The previous female to the HMURF is at the nest. Sounds like Aran is skydancing

©BGGW

• 11:12 She's still there; Aran continuing to skydance

11:16

BFN

©BGGW

• Glider said:
    I’m pretty sure that Mrs G Junior is the same bird that was with LJ2 at Brenig from 1st - 4th April when LM6 arrived and chased her off. 

I missed all that, GLIDER (been having Firefox probs for a couple of days) - I'd say your comparisons are slam-dunkers, it was HMURF. 

CIRRUS et al - I've got no footage left to check for the intrusion, nothing in Recycle Bin.  If only Peter @ Carnyx was doing it, he'd have everything archived in 12-hour files - but with no timeline it would be a hard task to find short events.

No sign of SMURF this morning  Frowning2  (Lol @ NELLIE!)   I can hardly believe it and am so disappointed.  Aran is waitng patiently and keeps looking at the sky - I listened in case there was skydancing going on but couldn't hear it.

• Scylla, see my posts above - NOT Aran

• scylla said:
    been having Firefox probs for a couple of days

I've been having trouble refreshing pages and therefore have been missing loads of posts!  Thank you, SANDRA - i was looking and looking and assumed it must be Aran, she's quite a slender, lightly-marked female, isn't she?  LMURF Grinning

Have we seen her before?

(BTW, in my defence, I'm now doing Clywedog, nearly always focused on another cam and keep having to glance and make snap decisions.)