LLYN BRENIG - July 2022

link to JUNE 2022

1st fish of July 2022 arrived at 07.34. Not too shabby an effort! Headless trout delivered by LJ2 whilst LM6 was off the nest. She soon followed on to collect the fish.

It looks like it was a nice calm morning.

LM6 and the chicks got a couple of feeds off this fish before LJ2 took it away. He returned with what was left at around 10.40.

LJ2 started eating it on the nest. Chick #2 came to see if it could get any and LJ2 gently fed it a few pieces before finishing it off.

• patily said:
    Know what you mean GLIDER and come too soon

Exactly Patily! 

• 16.34 and lots of fish calling from the chicks in the background. LM6 flies in and lands on the nest with a small live fish in her talons.

She waits and looks around for a few seconds before a screeching youngster is headed towards her.

Hello Olwen, thought you’d be hungry!

She’s straight over to grab the fish.

Not much in size but will do for now!

She starts eating straight away. 

After a few minutes, off nest LJ2 starts intruder chipping. Olwen pauses and decides to quickly down the part of fish that’s left rather than pancake! The fish was eaten in under 10 minutes.

• 17.50 LM6 on the nest and Olwen on the perch. They start calling as they see LJ2 incoming.

LJ2 lands on the nest with a good sized headless fish. LM6 collects it.

Gelert quickly joins them from the water side.

LM6 takes the fish to the side preparing it for feeding to the chicks.

However, Olwen had other ideas and grabbed the fish with some force, pulling it from LM6’s talons causing LM6 to lose her balance. Olwen has found her assertiveness as she has grown.

Olwen with her fish as Gelert and LM6 look on.

• Bit of a short message that - meant to say Hi Glider and everyone - thanks for all your updates.
    We'll make every effort to provide as much information and commentary as possible - not sure about the hide set-up and other viewing possibilities may be some limitations so can't promise too much at this stage.
  • 18.54 and Olwen finally gives up on the fish. She tried for over an hour to eat it, at one point giving up on the top of the body to switch to the tail end.

She walked away from the fish at this point, Gelert was hesitant whether to go over for it or not but Olwen then flew away so Gelert was able to get the fish. Interestingly, Gelert ended up eating it from the tail end too! 

Gelert managed a few pieces of fish then Olwen tried again and finally at 19.45, LM6 came to the nest to help with finishing it off. The chicks can manage the smaller fish but still struggle with the skin on the larger ones. They’ll just have to keep practising! 

• LAM said:
    Bit of a short message that - meant to say Hi Glider and everyone - thanks for all your updates.
    We'll make every effort to provide as much information and commentary as possible - not sure about the hide set-up and other viewing possibilities may be some limitations so can't promise too much at this stage.

Hi LAM, updates are a pleasure (mostly - the live feed is usually very stuttery! lol) I’ve been checking the homepage for Brenig Ospreys and there is a visitor centre with café, gift shop, exhibition, information, live nest screens and an Osprey lookout nearby with telescopes you can use. When I was at The Lowes, I placed my phone on the end of a telescope to take magnified shots as I don’t have a decent camera. Your shots at Manton were good though with what you had. 
    Just enjoy yourselves whatever you do. Blush What will be will be! Thumbsup

• Around 20.45 LM6 flew onto the perch. She was calling. About 5 minutes later, LJ2 joined her on the nest. He started tidying bits of bark and sticks to the sides and then nest scraping in the middle.He was busy for about 5 minutes. He stayed for another 10 minutes then left. One of the chicks flew in and looked like it was settling down but changed its mind. LM6 is still there now. 22.30

LJ2 nest scraping.

LM6 on her perch.

• I’m back at work tomorrow so updates will be much later into the day! Night night Sleeping
  • Thank you Glider for this useful information on Llyn Brenig and we will do our very best to get there! Think it is about an hours drive from were we will be camped up so as we are in the area we are going to do our best to get there :-)
    Yes we have tried that with phone but our phones have 4 cameras and difficult to get it focused on a scope.
    What phone were you using?
    Thank you yes we will go with the flow! :-)