LOCH OF THE LOWES - JUNE 2022

Link to May 2022

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter and Blogs >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as we had hoped, the middle of May proved to be a wonderful time with three successful hatches. Laddie, with his prolific fishing skills, is providing extremely well for his family and NC0’s attentive feeding for all three Osplets, is an absolute joy to watch! Let's hope everything continues to go well.

Nest Updates

Arrival dates:  Laddie - 13.3.22 (c12:00)   NC0 - 23.3.22 (18:14)

Three eggs laid:  Egg #1 - 12.4.22 (18:34)   Egg #2 - 15.4.22 (16:05)   Egg #3 - 18.4.22 (12:14)

Hatch dates:  Chick #1 - 19.5.22 (10:26) - 37 days   Chick #2 - 21.5.22 (03:24) - 36 days   Chick #3 - 23.5.22 (19:46) - 35 days

15.6.22:  At 23 days old, chick #3 passed away Broken heart 

27.6.22: Our osprey chicks have been ringed!  Chick #1 - LP8   Chick #2 - LR0  (Genders not determined)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June Blogs and Updates:

Links to blogs and updates during March/April and May

2.6.22: Blog (which includes historic LotL info) >>> Free Week-End at Loch of the Lowes 4th & 5th June

6.6.22: Blog >>> Osprey Diary at Loch of the Lowes – Week 9

10.6.22: Blog >>> What’s on the Menu? Osprey diets at Loch of the Lowes

15.6.22: Blog >>> Sad news from the nest

24.6.22: Blog >>> It won’t be long until the ospreys start to fledge

28.6.22: Blog >>> Our osprey chicks have been ringed!

• Laddie could be seen flying to the birch area when the feed was in its very early stages

NC0 and #1 shared this fish; 2#and # didn't show any interest

NC0 tested #2's beak with a morsel, but it didn't accept the offer...

and, after a PS, preferred to get itself into the middle of the huddle

#3 took this bite

#2 was offered, and accepted some morsels

Just before NC0 swallowed the fish tail at 19:20ish

It was raining before and during the feed. NC0 quickly covered the chicks to keep them dry

©SWT/LotL

• 20:17 Laddie brought a smallish fish to the nest, he had caught it moments before after diving from a tree that he's used before, behind the nest

Can just see his open wings through the gap

A splash could be heard then he came into view flying over the Loch

Veering right

Off he went again...

...and landed on the birch

All had some fish from this delivery!

Feed ended at 20:26

©SWT/LotL.

• Thanks for the link Sandra.

Do we remember Lady? Oh who could forget her. She will always hold a very special place in our hearts :-)

And surprise - I am visiting the Lowes tomorrow so will tell you all about my day. Looking so forward to it :-D
  • Sandra P said:

18:26 Yet another fish...you're a star Laddie!

And you’re a star too Sandra, giving us such a full, in depth update on these fabulous ospreys every day. Thank you Hugging

• Aw, you’ll love it Karen. I was there about 6 weeks ago. Heart eyes
  • Karen W said:
    Thanks for the link Sandra.

Do we remember Lady? Oh who could forget her. She will always hold a very special place in our hearts :-)

And surprise - I am visiting the Lowes tomorrow so will tell you all about my day. Looking so forward to it :-D

--------------------------------------------------

You're welcome, Karen.

Ohh, I am sooo jealous! lol.  I hope you have an amazing time and yes please, would love to hear all about your visit, I hope Laddie will show off his fishing skills in the Loch for you! I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as Glider did! Grinning

• Glider said:

Sandra P said:

18:26 Yet another fish...you're a star Laddie!

And you’re a star too Sandra, giving us such a full, in depth update on these fabulous ospreys every day. Thank you

=====================================================

Aww, it's my pleasure, Glider - thank you. Hugging

• Wow! Laddie dived from the birch at 21:12ish!

Out from the water

NC0 was calling so I think she thought he was bringing another fish

Instead, he headed back to the birch area and landed in the area marked

21:29 Laddie was on the out branch of the birch. NC0 was calling. He's since left, I don't know where he headed off to as the pic 'jumped' for me

©SWT/LotL

• I'm having major buffering problems/streaming jumping so missed the next fish delivery which must have been at around 21:35

Feed over at 21:42

©SWT/LotL