Goshawk webcam at Loch Garten

From RSPB Loch Garten Facebook
Goshawks are making a sneaky appearance on our live feeds. We are still waiting to see if they will incubate but we believe they have eggs already. If you want to follow their nest you can do so here and we even have infrared on this camera so can watch into the evening!
  • Ah, thanks for that Scylla. A really satisfying end and a great ''bye bye kids' to the super Goshawks.
  • Hello everyone

I haven't posted anything yet here, but been viewing the goshawk cam and uploaded a couple of video's after scylla stopped.

It's been an amazing experience to watch the little goshawks grow into young adult

I've made a video of the first 61 days (up to this week) with a snippet for each day and wanted to share it with you here.. Hope you'll enjoy.

"Goshawks the first 61 days from hatching to fletching | RSPB Abernethy Forest, Scotland"

• Bart molenaar said:
    I've made a video of the first 61 days

Supremely brilliant, BART, and thank you for sharing it here.  And it's so sophisticated, with chapters - I've never even attempted to investigate that - I'll probably have to if I ever embark on such a long period of time AstonishedSmile

"Correction" for your info, as English is not your first language (altho that's hard to believe) - birds "fledge" - it's arrows that get "fletched".

Tip = when you are inserting the video link in the box, take out the preset sizes and leave them blank - then the result will be bigger.  (Discovered via trial and error, like everything else!)

• Glad you appreciate it Blush

It’s been an amazing ride and sooo much fun to make the video

Btw

The chapters are really easy to make.. just add timestamps and some text in the description of the video

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9884579?hl=en-GB For a more detailed explanation (including a video, which always helps Wink)

(and I’ll correct the fledging Flushed)

• What a great video Bart! Well done for putting it together. I'm full of admiration for your skills (as I am others, especially scylla's.....anyone who can do a video is worthy of a medal). I'm feeling a bit guilty as I started this thread and have rarely posted on it, so thank you to everyone who's contributed.
  • After an absence of more than 3 days, with only some shouting off camera in the distance, finally a visit by one of the kids.

I find it hard to tell if it's the boy or one of the girls, but since the camera zoomed in we do have a much better view of it.

And hasn't it become a gorgeous goshawk

• Thank you for your videos Bart. Your quick 61 days shows just how much difference there is in their growth from day to dad and they have turned out to be lovely birds.
  • Good morning

Another rare visit to the nest (the last was 3 days ago) and this time by two of the kids, the second appearing moments after the other.
    I am guessing two of the females (they do look much alike in their coloring).
    They are looking so gorgeous and healthy..

I'll be posting the video later (maybe we have another visit today)

• A short visit today by one of the goshawks.. still nibbling on the leftovers :-)

• Well..

a short update from our beloved goshawks (as long as they don't attack our also beloved Ospreys.

One goshawk (or maybe different ones each time) is visiting the nest usually around midday for the last couple of days (not every day).. and sitting in the nest.. relaxed enjoying the scenery and after 1 or 2 hours leaves again...

btw I went to a falconry workshop today and held about 20 birds of prey on my wrist, even fly them (well they flew to my wrist) and there was this awesome peregrine falcon flying on a lure.. damn they are fast.. but it was an amazing experience after watching all these amazing birds on their nests to finally hold them.. I'm still so exited that I had to share a couple of foto's Blush