Weekly Chat, Sunday December 12, 2010

Will catch up later, but see the last page of yesterday's chat for updates from folks - including the last one from Diane!

• I’ve argued all along that the cold snap in November/December doesn’t mean a long cold winter like last year, but am now beginning to wonder  ’cos I keep getting the urge to bake stuff and fill the freezer!!  Also been experimenting with chocolate moulds and made some refrigerator cake (tiffin).  OH has been fetching and carrying and clearing up (rewarded by being allowed to lick out the bowl after various processes!).  We also rearranged some ornaments on shelves and windowsills, and I had another go at sorting my craft storage.  Has been much colder than yesterday – minus 5 this morning, up to about 2 at lunchtime, then minus 1 by dusk.  Birds of all shapes and sizes have been very busy feeding today.  Time to sort tea – back later with replies.

Pied Wagtail taken in the last of the snow last Thursday

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hi ALL, just catching up after a busy few days. THANKS for all the great posts and photos on this thread and the last!

The weather has warmed up a fair bit here but apparently is only temporary. Guess will just have to wait and see.

Looking forward to the changes to the site on Tuesday. Fingers crossed all goes well! :)

• Apologies if this has already been posted:

"The Bear Family and Me" - Gordon Buchanan, Lily and Hope.  BBC2 9pm 3rd, 4th, 5th January!

• Phoebe is building 2 nests, they are going to locate the camera later.

Exploring and dealing with an interloper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIYO7Na0Bl4

• Enjoyed nice, simple cheese salad.  Now for some replies.

Lynette – your post prompted OH to ask me for his photo (all filed on my PC) so he also could have it as his background too!  Pleased the partywent well.  Hope your voice lasts through all the Craol services!

Diane – it’s so good to see you back – and how lovely to be greeted by the Woodpecker!  I hope you have had a chance to make preparations for the winter storms which are forecast.  Don’t rush too quickly into any major decisions.  You need time to rest and to find yourself again, and as you say, you can spend some time on the house.  But don’t do too much too quickly – be kind to yourself – and we shall be thinking of you.  Thanks for link to avian keratin disorder.

AQ – thanks for suggesting Annette lays in supplies of Carrot Cake - I have not yet succeeded in sending it by telekinesis!  Surprised you haven’t had expected lists from your family – doesn’t leave you much time for shopping for them!  Grandson#2 soon sent me his Edinburgh address (he is no longer sharing with his Bro) when he realised a Christmas cheque depended on it!  But, to be fair, he did write a long newsy email with it.

Annette – fine to have got through to a Panasonic person “anxious to help” in the end – but it should not have gone wrong anyway – and should not take all this hassle to try to get it right.  I would say replacement TV should be offered!  Garage pipes were lagged when fitted, with approved sold-for-the-purpose foam lagging – OH has now fitted extra.

Lindy – glad you are feeling a bit better today – hope you can reschedule visit soon.  When we moved I here, one worktop had a heat mark, so we kept it covered with a patterned glass (an owl picture) surface protector.  When we renovated earlier this year, I bought three new black glass protectors – one for each side of the hob and one for above the dishwasher!  We have one of those window feeders – bought as a “Robin Feeder” – guess which bird never comes to it! – but the blackbirds love it!

Alan – sorry, I always laugh at your “manly tears” because OH always has them if he watches anything sad on TV, and I don’t.  Pleased Hamish was up to cat chase this morning.

George – sorry about the tyre – but glad it was nothing more serious.  Pleased you and SiL have been able to shop when needed – but do take care.

Dibnlib – like the Christmas avatar!!  Hope the cold is going.

Back view, but good sight of plumage colours:

• Evening all: Unseasonably warm day here - had lunch in garden then somehow fell asleep with my book on my lap. Life is tough.  Spoke at length to sister in Lincolnshire this morning. They just bought a flat screen - a Toshiba - did not buy a Panasonic on the advice of the salesman who said that P used to be good, but "they're falling now."  Oh wonderful.  He also thought Samsung had "peaked."   He recommended LG, which is interesting since when our repairman was having a little rant about Panasonic's bad service the other day, I asked him which brand he'd buy if he were in the market now, and he said LG.  Hmmm.  In the meantime, our "problem" telly is behaving itself, but we are being gentle and not pushing too many buttons on the remote at the same time.  As a matter of interest, the Costco manager who called me yesterday said waiting ages on the phone was "the industry standard" for all makes these days. Wonderful. On another note, I've broken down and ordered a new laptop. OH got tired of me moaning about the problems of getting a monitor to work with this one, which is currently set up on the dining room table where he likes to eat lunch and read the Wall Street Journal. Anyway, Dell is offering really good deals right now, so I went with an Inspiron 15R - a boring black workhorse with not too many bells and whistles.  I should get it the end of the month.

Alan: Just watched the stork cam for a few minutes. It's just after 6 in the morning and the sole occupant of the nest seemed very interested in the traffic below.  Two nests eh? Sounds like Phoebe doesn't plan on putting all her eggs in one basket!  :-)

We have a busy week ahead - did Xmas cards tonight and off to Post Office first thing.  Just think, in two weeks it'll all be over for another year.....  And just this evening, got the first e-mail from Mike at Gray Whale Count giving us the start day for the new season - February 7!

Take care all.

• Good morning, all.  Warmer this morning –no visible frost, but could just possibly be some black ice about.

Annette – We bought LG flat-screen on advice of salesman.  Pleased you have decided on a new laptop.  Yes, we are nearly through the Christmas season – I find myself looking forward more to the increased daylight hours rather than the jollities of Christmas and New Year!  Our week is busy, but starts with another lunch out today – will not have the Turkey this time.  Solar panels get fitted tomorrow and connected Wednesday, cleaner Thursday and decorations up when she’s been, local shopping for fresh stuff Friday and family invasion Saturday!  Nice for you to have Whale count coming so soon – -  and then Ospreys!!

• Morning, Everyone:   This is in a dash as I'm off out shopping today, and Friend is calling for me early.  Just time to say,  its cold and damp here, not very nice, but at least we are not freezing yet!  Like the Christmassy avatar, diblinib, and enjoyed everyone's chat as usual.

Hope your find the new laptop 'Inspiring' Annette!  How frustrating for you to have such probs with your new TV, as well.  Hope it can be sorted soon without too much hanging on the phone.  That seems to be the norm these days, for everything.

OG  - Chocolate refrigerator cake!   What are you trying to do to me?   I put on weight just reading about it!

Here is todays, Monday Smile, have a Good Day All:

(got the window feeder from Amazon but found out later that even RSPB do them, too.  No, my robins don't come on it either!)

• we have 2  LG lcd flat screen tvs and 1 toshiba - all in different rooms I hasten to add, and they haven't given us any trouble  yet. To be honest I think it  is the luck of the draw in the end, and no matter how much you spend you cannot rely on anything.