Technical test thread 2011-forever

I thought I might bump up this thread which goes back to 2011 (it's been bumped before) and was started by the wonderful Tiger

It contains all sorts of useful info on technical problems, handy hints for inserting photos and links and, latterly, the fact that we seem to get 'notifications' that we can't get rid of (I'm up to 6).

If nothing else, another trip down memory lane.

• I'm bringing over CRINGER's post from the old Tech Test thread.

CRinger said:
    I hope this is the right thread! I have a new friend from USA who has just joined the Forum. Under the Forums she is interested in she only sees the 'reply to thread option'. Even when she clicks 'turn reply notifications on' to the thread she does not see under every message posted an option to reply to that particular message.HELP PLEASE!

I don't mean to waste time and space, but can I clarify this in my head, please?

When your friend scrolls down to the last post in the Dyfi thread, does she not see exactly this on this page?

It would be helpful if a screenshot could be posted of what she does see on the same page (hoping that Patily's post will still be the last one).

• CRINGER !!!!!!!!!

Or CRinger's friend Hugging

Are you sure you're signed in?

I'll keep checking back as often as poss, hope I don't forget Smirk 

• scylla said:

CRINGER !!!!!!!!!

Or CRinger's friend

Are you sure you're signed in?

I'll keep checking back as often as poss, hope I don't forget  

I will make sure she is later when she logs on - THANKS - hadn't thought of that!

• scylla said:

I'm bringing over CRINGER's post from the old Tech Test thread.

CRinger said:
    I hope this is the right thread! I have a new friend from USA who has just joined the Forum. Under the Forums she is interested in she only sees the 'reply to thread option'. Even when she clicks 'turn reply notifications on' to the thread she does not see under every message posted an option to reply to that particular message.HELP PLEASE!

I don't mean to waste time and space, but can I clarify this in my head, please?

When your friend scrolls down to the last post in the Dyfi thread, does she not see exactly this on this page?

It would be helpful if a screenshot could be posted of what she does see on the same page (hoping that Patily's post will still be the last one).

From what I can gather she sees a like button under every post but not a reply option for every post - just a reply to thread option.I will check later with her when she logs in.

• Well, here's a weird thing. I 'unticked' all notifications about a week ago. But I still get them all, but now pretty much 'contemporaneously'* with anything being posted, rather than a day or so later!!

(* big word for a Saturday)

• Korky, I didn't switch off notifications and things seemed to sort themselves out during the week, other than on Friday afternoon when it looked like they were notifying a couple of hours late. Ian
  • I've been receiving my notifications ok this morning (at last!). Fingers crossed

• I have a very annoying problem with logging in to this site. My desktop is fine, hence this post, it holds the log in details with no difficulties. My mobile and iPad are totally different. I've lost count of the number of times I've input my log in details which according to RSPB are incorrect. I did a test log out from my desktop, cleared my cache so that I had to do a new log in, all perfect not an issue. I just do not know what I can do for my mobile and ipad.
  • There is a choice between logging on with email address or with username. The login screen defaults to email address despite it displaying my username, sometimes I forget to click on "login with username" and get the "incorrect details" message. Could this be happening to you? Ian