GLASLYN OSPREY - 2022 SEASON

(Last season's 153-page mega-thread.)

We look forward to MrsG and Aran's return with even more eagerness and anxiety than usual.

Guestimated due dates per ©UKOspreys.uk

GLASLYN YOUTUBE CHANNEL - where the latest live stream link can always be found.

• It is an absolutely stunning location, we sat for hours last July, when Gardenbirder and her hubby were volunteering. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit, don't think we will manage it this year. Such lovely people looking after the whole project.
  • And it was lovely to meet you there last year, Cathy. Shame you cannot visit this year. I would have been happy volunteering at any Osprey site, but Hubby preferred the smaller size of Glaslyn to the larger centres, so we ended up volunteering there. But we do visit as many others as possible on days when we are not on duty at Glaslyn while on our holiday. We visited Rutland about a month ago and had the pleasure of watching Maya snatch a stick from the water's surface near the nest pole and take it up to the nest--probably it was one which had gone overboard earlier! We also saw both Maya and 33 wash their feet by dragging them in the water, and even saw Maya break off a branch from one of the tall trees on the shore behind the nest and take it to the nest. All just fabulous! We will visit Poole later in the summer--it is great that there is now an active nest there, finally! Of course, that nest cannot be viewed in person by the general public, but we will have a boat trip and will be able to watch for Ospreys around the harbour and from RSPB Arne. Last year we saw a migrating Osprey who was having a stopover there and it was viewable (on its favourite perch) from a path at Arne. I have forgotten if that bird was a male or female, hence the 'it.'

Lovely photos, Lindybird. I wonder if the Osprey model is the same one which used to hang in the corner of the first room in the visitor centre.

Cirrus and Scylla, It is such a relief that this nest is having a good year so far after the sadness of Aran's injury and the loss of the chicks last year. It may be that there actually is a lot of interest in this nest (at least judging by the chat on YouTube!), but most of those folks are probably busy watching only the YT live stream and they are reading and/or contributing to the chat there rather than commenting or posting photos here. I find I am becoming more addicted to following this nest and one or two others on YouTube, too, leaving far too little time to follow as many threads here as I would like to. (I blame the pandemic--Lol!.) Plus, with there now being an active nest at Loch Garten, some folks may have moved back to that nest instead of following this one which they might have done when LG had no Ospreys.
  • I love his nest.....one of my favourites even more so after visiting last year I usually look in each day and am surprised that there is so little reporting Sadly, my own hands/wrists are not always up to typing
  • So many people chat on YouTube Patily, rather than recording events on here. It has all changed so much since I started observing. It a shame really, so many contributors seem to have disappeared.
  • Glad you enjoyed my pictures.... we had a lovely time there. Its such a beautiful valley and the mountains look as if they're protecting nature by standing by.

And yes, it's a joyful, happy nest!!

(Edit  - lets hope it's stays that way!)

• Heather has just confirmed that Aran caught 13 fish yesterday He kept just the last one for himself late last night

• LINDY What super pics of your visit to Glaslyn. I visited possibly six or more years ago when on holiday, staying in Criccieth. I persuaded my OH to visit....three times! I loved it. I'm so glad you had a happy visit too.

• Thanks, Sheila. We usually visit twice a year when we're in the area.
  • patily said:
    I love his nest.....one of my favourites even more so after visiting last year I usually look in each day and am surprised that there is so little reporting Sadly, my own hands/wrists are not always up to typing

A few pictures of the  family at least Patily - especially  for you