Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 December 2021

Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone!

December 18-19 is the last Full Moon of 2021. The moon turns full on 19 December at 04:35 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. 

This Full Moon is just two days before the Solstice, which occurs on 21 December at 15:59 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. The Solstice marks the Northern Hemisphere's shortest day (first astronomical day of winter) and the Southern Hemisphere's longest day (first astronomical day of summer).

I’m gratefully celebrating the return of the light and longer days!

AQ: I’m not forgetting you. Happy Summer Solstice to you. I very much hope the temperatures will be kinder to you and your family.

A halo and a sundog over Bunsen Peak in Yellowstone National Park
NPS/Diane Renkin
Photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)

• Unknown said:
    the good news from this part of the world is that daughter has improved

So relieved to hear this Annette! Nice to have it happen before Xmas, too. I'm trying to stay away from grocery stores now, myself. My last walk from the grocery brought me to view this lawn decoration! It made me grin!

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Morning all:  You know who we haven't seen for ages on the thread?  George.  Hope he's doing okay and still chauffeuring various older relatives to and fro....

Alan!  So nice to see you pop in - hope everyone is well in your corner of the world and that you have a great Christmas.  :-)

CC:  That lawn thingie looks like a Hallowe'en decoration they never got around to putting away....  :-)

Lindybird:  Good Lord. Seven years since you and OH were tearing your hair out about the alarmingly boisterous Bonnie!

Heather:  I  may sneak into the supermarket en route home from car servicing.  I've been so distracted this last month or so that I ran out of wine last night!  Horrors!

I'm looking at the weather for Prescott Valley and it looks like they're in for some snow while I'm there; not sure about that as I've never driven in serious snowy conditions, Lord knows we rarely have to drive in rain here.  Will be watching to see how that might develop......  

• Well I am pleased to say that is me done with work for 2021 - start again on 4th Jan 2022.

Annette - so plesed your Daughter has improved enough to be moved closer to home. Keep warm and make the most of your visit.

Lindy - like a lot of us I keep things way passed their time but I like them as a link to the past. I have a large platter from my Grandmother who died in 1962 - its not fancy but it means so much to me. Also a casserole from a Royal Doulton dinner service my Sister bought for my wedding in 1973 which I love - it is the Everglades design. It was one of many casseroles that we were bought - why did everyone buy them as presents then?

AQ - Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the sun and heat.

OG - I hope all the tradesmen have departed and you are pleased with their efforts.

Clare - I too have promised myself to get to Scotland again next year to see the White Tailed Eagles again and of course - the Ospreys.

Diane - Have a good rest this holiday after your busy fall and enjoy living in what must be a wonderful wildlife heaven.

Alan - good to hear from you - and all the best to you and yours and lets hope for a successful Osprey Season

Sorry to all I have not mentioned but I do read all of your posts - plus my oven has just pinged so I need to rescue my chicken pie.

I will be at home on Christmas day so will catching up with you all.

• Annette: I am so very happy that your daughter has recovered enough that they've relocated her from the big city hospital back to the one closer to your family. That will be so much better for her and all of you. Wishing her a full recovery.

You're a good driver, so try not to worry about driving in snow/ice. If I can do it, you can do it, my friend. It does take greater concentration, and you have to train yourself to look farther down the road in front of you so you can react. You also have to drive more gently, making smooth, subtle movements and avoiding jerky turns of the steering wheel. Jerky movements will break your tires grip on the road. HERE is an article that I think offers good tips for driving on snow and ice.

Actually, ice is much worse than snow. In Indiana, we often have "black ice." I always try to avoid driving in the early morning or in the later evening to avoid black ice conditions. HERE is an article that explains it with detailed tips for driving on it. I've never had an incident driving on snow, but I've had a couple driving on ice (I've never had an actual wreck or collision, though). Always make sure you have a snow shovel in your backseat or trunk in case you skid off the road into snow. Also, have a heavy coat, gloves, and boots with you. It's also good to take salt or sand, so you can pour it on the ground surface if your tires can't get traction. You'll be fine, just drive slowly and don't let macho fools push you to drive faster than you're comfortable.

• Alan: So nice to see you! Hope you and your family are well. Thanks for popping in.

• The amount of time required by the average person is five minutes more.

Fortune favours the prepared mind. (Louis Pasteur)

No crisis allowed this week. My schedule is already full.

• Merry Christmas to ALL from warm sunny 24 C Adelaide.

Ochna flowering now in our front garden. It has glossy green leaves with wavy, finely serrated edges and bronze new growth. Berries are relatively harmless. The flesh is edible, though the seeds could make a child nauseous. It has various names including bird's eye bush and carnival bush. Its botanical name is Ochna serrulata and it is a native of southern Africa.

• aquilareen said:

An unexpected find in a postal box!

Awwwww!  Good to see it was the right kind of person who made the unexpected find.  Hope everything turns out OK.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.