Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 December 2021

Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone!

December 18-19 is the last Full Moon of 2021. The moon turns full on 19 December at 04:35 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. 

This Full Moon is just two days before the Solstice, which occurs on 21 December at 15:59 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. The Solstice marks the Northern Hemisphere's shortest day (first astronomical day of winter) and the Southern Hemisphere's longest day (first astronomical day of summer).

I’m gratefully celebrating the return of the light and longer days!

AQ: I’m not forgetting you. Happy Summer Solstice to you. I very much hope the temperatures will be kinder to you and your family.

A halo and a sundog over Bunsen Peak in Yellowstone National Park
NPS/Diane Renkin
Photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)

• Yes Heather. It is difficult but also 2000 pieces of fun!
  • Limpy said:

Bwahahaha! I SO LOVED THIS! And especially they had a sign language interpreter prominently featured, Bravo.

• dibnlib said:
    This is the jigsaw that is taking up so much of my time.

I love jigsaws. I just sent one to my brother and family so wee could work on it once I get there after Xmas. Good group activity.

• Solstice? I hardly notice it. The days just get hotter from now on. However this week is pleasant until χmas Eve 34 C, χmas Day 32.

LIMPY – Thanks for the spider report. I had not heard about it – it is a different state & no point me noting their reports & getting confused by their restrictions.

CC – All Aussie covid press reports have AUSLAN signers. Also for disasters such as bushfire warnings. I do feel sorry for the signers interpreting politicians’ waffle!

HEATHER – I shall have to send MissL to help with your jigsaw. LOL She completed her gift jigsaw on our lounge room floor yesterday afternoon! OK, it was only 100 pieces. MissJ left hers in the box as she is not as keen on puzzles.

MissJ immediately began reading her book (about a girl who can talk to zoo animals). As well as a craft, a puzzle & a fiction book, I always give each a “fact” book (astronomy, nature, atlas, etc. etc). I did not have time this year to search far and grabbed a book on the Periodic Table for Miss10. Success!!! She spent the rest of the afternoon telling us facts & figures of chemical elements. Dau says she is still absorbed this morning!

I gained 2 books by Aussie authors, L..t chocs and 3 custom-designed bookmarks.

• Mail your packages early so the post office can lose them in time for Christmas. (Johnny Carson)

Nothing’s as mean as giving a little child something useful for Christmas. (Kin Hubbard)

Once you stop believing in Santa, you get underwear for Christmas.

• AQ - happy that your family meal went well !
    I need a Santa elf to get me moving. Looking at presents still to be wrapped and decorations to place. I seem to be writing a lot of reminders in my diary which are not getting a tick ✓ beside them.
    Thinking of OG and family...
  • Life slowly returning to normal - may even get Ch decs down from the loft tomorrow!
  • Wondered how things were, OG. Hope normality can return soon.

It's been colder (3deg this morning) and my OH has been sweeping the paths and has brushed down our bird table with hot water, as it had the remains of home made 'birdcake' and was getting messy. I've been hair washing, present wrapping, and occasionslly stopping to shove a decoration or two up.