Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 19 December 2021

Season’s Greetings and Happy Holidays to everyone!

December 18-19 is the last Full Moon of 2021. The moon turns full on 19 December at 04:35 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. 

This Full Moon is just two days before the Solstice, which occurs on 21 December at 15:59 UTC. You can insert your own town or city into the search box HERE to find your exact time. The Solstice marks the Northern Hemisphere's shortest day (first astronomical day of winter) and the Southern Hemisphere's longest day (first astronomical day of summer).

I’m gratefully celebrating the return of the light and longer days!

AQ: I’m not forgetting you. Happy Summer Solstice to you. I very much hope the temperatures will be kinder to you and your family.

A halo and a sundog over Bunsen Peak in Yellowstone National Park
NPS/Diane Renkin
Photo labeled “Public domain” (copyright free)

• Morning Heather and AQ.  ! I'm just falling into bed. Am contemplating waking up at 4 a.m. to watch the James Webb Space Telescope launch from French Guinea. It takes over where the Hubble Space Telescope leaves off and then some...apparently more than 300 separate points where one thing can go pear-shaped and ruin the $10 billion project.

• aquilareen said:
    The best gift you can give is a hug: one size fits all and no one ever minds if you return it.

Best quote ever, Aquilareen.  Hugs, like courtesy, cost nothing.

On that note I'd like to wish everyone a very happy Christmas!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thank you, Clare.

I meant to write this morning, but it's been a funny old day.

Annette, I heard about the launch, and it was mentioned on our News as well, this morning. Very exciting! These things usually turn up more questions than answers.
  • Lindybird said:
    I meant to write this morning, but it's been a funny old day.

Is everything OK, Lindy?  Please tell me that the Awful Cousin hasn't turned up without warning.

We've had our usual quiet day - we managed to visit Abberton Reservoir this afternoon and I'm about to go through nearly 400 photos.  I always get carried away when we go there!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hope you are OK LINDY.
    A catastrophe here, was up at middle daughter for Christmas dinner. Fifteen mins or so after beef went in oven, her oven element went caput. So we phoned a taxi and came home here, together with all the food etc. Still haven't eaten ! In all the flummox, Amy forgot her insulin which she needs to prime her insulin pump. She has found a generous friend to take her home to collect some. Surely nothing else can go wrong ?!!!
  • Oh good Lord Heather. Sounds like one of those black comedies.... Maybe time for a glass of wine or two?? Let us know how it all went when you have a chance!
  • Heather - A memorable Christmas ... I'm sure you will all laugh about it in years to come. In the meantime, I do hope you enjoy your Christmas dinner - whenever you get it!!

I've had an odd sort of day. Watched my church's service via Zoom and spent my time 'private chatting' with people I haven't seen for a long time! Then switched to the Methodist Central Hall service - which went kaput after half an hour. Then had a delicious lunch, then an unexpected call from my daughter, which was lovely, followed by a Zoom chat with the family - my great-nephew was far more interested in his new Lego than talking to me! Good to see them all, though. Now I'm exhausted and wondering how soon I can fall into bed!

Hope everyone has had a good day doing whatever you do on Christmas Day. I may not be the only one unable to do what I would normally do ... but making the best of it anyway.
  • I haven't been very good about keeping up with this thread or Facebook this week. I've read everything, but forgive me if I've failed to respond to posts. I do hope you all have had a wonderful Christmas! (Heather, I hope you've had dinner!) 

I'll be back later to start the new thread. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!