Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 24 October 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Sorry this new thread is later than usual.

Have a good week, all!

• I woke 6.30-ish this morn to rumbles of thunder. Soon they moved directly overhead and big fat drops of rain fell. It had passed by noon. Our suburb actually didn’t get much rain – nearby airport recorded a mere 5 mm. Apparently three severe storms moved across state this morning; parts of Adelaide suffered hailstones, wind damage, power outages. 8 schools had to be closed due to flooding or power failure. It was a surprise to us to see the news how bad it was.

I abandoned handing out sweets on Halloween a few years ago. It was fine, say 10 years ago, when 2 or 3 giggling 8-10 year-olds came to the door in their finery. But times changed, stranger danger caused kids to be accompanied by parents. Said parents stood by kerb, chatting to each other, oblivious to kids running across the road or whether I was handing out drugged sweets or could be molesting them. The kids came in packs of a dozen or more, snatch, grab, barely a thank you. Now with covid. . . definitely no.

• If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything. {Mark Twain)

I had the right to remain silent but I didn’t have the ability.

There’s nothing wrong with having nothing to say as long as you are not saying it out loud.

• Good Morning. My pic of our nerines won't let me post a message with it . .... They are as colourful as ever this year.

Dry here at present but we should be getting some of the torrential rain predicted today for north of us, The Lake Distruct & Cumbria. However, we are travelling south to the Midlands to see Youngest and his brood, as its Matthew's birthday today.

• Seems like a hundred years since I was 7!! Matthew recently. He is a maths whizz, and has a huge smile.

• So did I watch it last night! Beautiful footage, including of skydancing, diving for and catching fish, and soaring together with a mate. However, did you catch the mistakes in the narration when he described the female calling for food when she was uttering alarm cries? There were other mistaken attributions of meaning, but that one was particularly notable.

Unknown said:
    Watching The Season of the Osprey on PBS's program Nature.  Some great photography.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Lindy, your nerines are so vibrant! Our fall colors in Rochester are disappointing this year, so its nice to see your blooms in autumn. We are finally getting sunny fall weather here after big rains. Yesterday I went for a walk along a wooded ridge and fell on my butt in the muddy section below the ridge. No harm done, mud was soft and so is my butt! Had to do some washing after I got home!

Be careful driving down through any rain to see your son and his birthday boy.

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Lovely Nerines, LINDA. Ours have almost done for this year.

Hate this time of year with Hallow'en and Bonfire Night - fireworks somewhere nearby last night - read on news that they are being used to alert people to where drugs are available!

Serious rainfall here again - lots of road closures due to flooding in the area, but we are fine.

Had a very nice young man visit this morning! Physio follow-up from my July hospital stay. Looks like he has a very holistic approach and is not going to abandon me as past physios have! He was very aware how hard I try to exercise when I can, and find more appropriate exercise for bad days. He has helped me make my mind up how to deal with orthopaedic suggestions next week. As well as mobility issues, he has also given me guidance of how to clear my chest and throat in the mornings.

Another day of "bits and pieces" of clearing up various jobs today.