Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 October 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy week! 

Please check back to last week's thread to see all of Clare's phenomenal photography from her trip to Mull!!! You won't be sorry!

• Hello all and Thank you to DIANE
    So many lovely photos - thank you to CLARE, LINDY and DIBNLIB.
    Quiet here but still trying to help family as best as I can ! Middle daughter is trying everything she can to deal with her awful neighbour. Youngest has had nothing but disasters since her OH went to Australia. Son is still struggling with getting wounds on his leg healed - I am very worried about this, he has Type,2 diabetes and circulation seems poor.
    Wish that I could write something cheerful !!!!

• Good morning, all!

It's going to be an uncharacteristically warm October day today, almost up to 80 degrees F, on this Indigenous People's/Columbus holiday. COVID numbers have begun to decline, so that is cautiously happy news.

I have a big soul line dance party event this coming Saturday in Buffalo, NY. I have a list of over 100 line dances I have been practicing so as to maximize my time on the floor with maybe 50 other people. The theme is cowboy/cowgirl, so I've got a plaid shirt with a western sheriff's star pinned to it, topped off with a headband that is jersey black and white, and features cow horns and ears. WOOHOO! Good fun and good exercise!

• Wish I could find something to say to cheer you up, Heather - you've clearly got a lot going on. I'm pleased you enjoyed my Mull photos - you'll be pleased to know that we're officially going back, with a self catering apartment booked in June! It's attached to the lovely B&B we stayed at last month - I'm looking forward to going back there.

• I cannot remember if I said how wonderful CLARES pics were. Glad you are going back next year CLARE

A bit more about the Isle of Seil. It is one of a group of islands named the slate islands. You will not find any nice sandy beaches there. Our friends have a local pub called "Tigh na Truish". We didn't go there as it is closed Monday and Tuesday. It is the 1st/last house on Seil. The name means the House of Trousers!!! Apparently after the uprising, bagpipes, kilts, tartans etc were banned and the story goes that those living on the island continued to wear their kilts, but if they needed to go to the mainland they would leave their kilts at the house and change into trousers, on their return they would swap back to kilts.

HEATHER Your family are having a really tough time. Thinking of you all. Do take care.
  • Heather:  When is SiL due home from OZ?     Assume son is seeing wound care folks....diabetes really complicates things.   So has daughter 'reported' neighbor's dog to anyone who can/will do anything about it?  No fun at all to be at odds with a neighbor.....

CC: I imagne Columbus Day will gradually fade in favor of Indigenous People's Day - it should; after all, they were here long before he stumbled across the North American continent!  You are having too much fun at these dances.  :-)

dibnlib: Love these little tidbits on how places got their names.  Swapping pants for kilts - oh my - sounds very seditious.

Clare: Smart to make your reservations for next year.  

• Unknown said:
    Smart to make your reservations for next year.  

I wasn't actually looking to book so soon but when I looked at the B&B's website half of June was already booked up!  The term time dates are clearly going quickly for the self catering apartment.

• Forecast today = sunny, max 23. Morning actually = overcast. Nevertheless I took my camera for a walk along South Esplanade Glenelg (walk-bike track only) to capture some of the former “stately” homes. Alas, multi-storey beachside apartments have infilled the former stately grounds. Iron lacework on some verandahs have seen better days, but, hey, the salt winds would be a challenge to maintenance. Detour via Bakery on way home. . .

• Just a thought

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it. (Confucius)

• AQ thanks as always, and saw this on News today and thought of you..

www.bbc.co.uk/.../world-africa-58855205