Weekly Chat (non-osprey) Sunday, September 12, 2021

Hallo all!

• Lindybird: Tell Amber lemon is much better when squeezed into a glass of Mexican beer. :-)
  • LINDY: Amber is beautiful!!! I can't believe how much she has grown.
  • Greetings from a not quite awake ... Perth Royal Infirmary! My friend's memorial service was lovely - very much 'her'. The cathedral was packed. At the reception afterwards I was bitten by an extremely nasty Scottish bug just under my left eye. It started swelling almost immediately and by Sunday morning my left eye was closed and the whole of the left side of my face was very swollen. Not a pretty sight! I took myself off to A and E - still hoping to start heading south later that day. No chance! Long story short - massive doses of steroids and antihistamine and a night in hospital has certainly lessened the swelling and I'm hoping to be able to get back to my B and B later today. And hope to start my journey south tomorrow or Wednesday. I need to get home, which is going to take at least two days. Not what I would have planned. But everyone has been so helpful and friendly in my predicament.

Hope everyone has a good Monday. No idea what the weather is doing outside but the forecast is grey and driech ...
  • Good morning from Suffolk.  Pat - sorry to hear about your bite - there seems to be a lot of nasty insect bites this year. I got bitten on my calf last week and it quickly became hot and very red over a large area.Took my self off to chemist and he said I should see the doctor as it looked like cellulitis. Managed to get appointment to an emergency doctor in another village near me for Saturday morning and yes it had developed into cellulitis. So I am on penicillin for a week and have to wash area with salt water. But it could have been worse and started when I was away on Nanny duty. Both my older brother and sister have both had cellulitis, my sister was in hospital and needed a nurse to come in daily so I am thankful mine is responding to the antibiotics.

Well its back to work for me today, the 2 days in Essex looking after my sister-in-laws dog while she has an operation and that is my holiday allowance all used up for this year. Next year I have promised myself a week away somewhere all to myself!

Hope all recover from ailments and have a good week all.

• Oh PAT, I'm so sorry to read this...but glad that you've had good care x What an unpleasant hiatus...
  • PAT & HARELADY – How horrid your away time has been spoilt by bites. I wish you both speedy recoveries.

HEATHER – All that care is to protect us from any incoming covid outbreaks!!! But they are taking quarantine much more seriously this year than earlier as Delta is so infectious.

LINDA – Is it my imagination or are children growing up faster than in Ye Olden Days? Save that pic for Amber’s 21st!

Frustrating morning as we had no internet. When OH finally rang service provide after lunch (wishful thinking it would fix itself), service eventually restored. I did ask a week or so ago to learn what/how/whatever to contact whoever but he was reluctant to share. . . or maybe he just couldn’t remember. Some days his head doesn’t thunk very well. Meantime we went to hardware/garden centre. I have already planted a single tomato plant & chard.

Delighted to see Dylan Alcock has won the “Golden Slam” (4 Grand Slams + Olympic Gold). A great guy & a brilliant ambassador.

• Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like, never washed a dog. (Franklin P Jones)

Dogs come when they’re called; cats take a message and get back to you later. (Mary Bly)

If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them. (Phil Pastoret)

• Pat O said:
    At the reception afterwards I was bitten by an extremely nasty Scottish bug just under my left eye. It started swelling almost immediately and by Sunday morning my left eye was closed and the whole of the left side of my face was very swollen.

Blimey, Pat - whatever it was must have had some serious teeth!  I'm so sorry that happened but it sounds like you're in the right hands.  Don't even think of driving home until the medical staff are happy for you to do it - you've got a long old drive ahead of you.

We're off to Scotland next week (NEXT WEEK!!!!!) and here's hoping a similar set of teeth avoids us.

• Unknown said:
    I got bitten on my calf last week and it quickly became hot and very red over a large area.Took my self off to chemist and he said I should see the doctor as it looked like cellulitis. Managed to get appointment to an emergency doctor in another village near me for Saturday morning and yes it had developed into cellulitis. So I am on penicillin for a week and have to wash area with salt water.

OUCH.  Hope it's improving - that sounds very uncomfortable.

• Good Morning. Pat, sorry to hear of your horrible experience, but you did the right thing to get it looked at as soon as possible. Sounds quite serious, and it's so unpleasant when it's your face which is involved. Do hope you can get back home without too much of a problem. Thinking of you.

Harelady - You too! How uncomfortable that sounds. Hope it responds to treatment.

Good Morning Everyone. You can gather that we had a successful trip and that our granddaughter was excited to see us. It was dry weather whilst we were there, and we were able to wander about without coats. On Saturday evening we enjoyed a meal out and my OH had slow cooked pork belly on a bed of crushed potatoes, and I had an unusual pizza with chicken and mozzarella cheese, enlivened by dollops of caramelised red onion jam. Yum. After desserts, we could hardly move, so were glad to get a taxi back again. Spent some time during the weekend battling with lots of tiny pieces as Amber was given a giant Lego set and needed help.