Weekly Chat (non-osprey) Sunday, September 12, 2021

Hallo all!

• Hello all , thank you for your news. Not good to hear about insect bites and broken washing machines and hope that all will be well for everyone.
    As often happens, I am preoccupied ! This week it is to do with my middle daughter. Some of you may remember that she moved to a different rental house recently. She and Amy are pleased with the house but very unhappy with the dog next door. It's a semi detached house. The neighbour is a lady probably mid fifties. 
    She seems to have physical problems. Has a Motability car which she drives herself and carers coming in twice a day presumably to help her in and out of bed.. Her son lives with her, she told us that he is her carer. However, he works in Asda. The dog never gets walked and she can't look after him. He is either in a crate o r in the small garden. He barks and whines and when in the garden throws himself at the back door, scraping etc. If he is in the crate he makes a dreadful noise which can be clearly heard in my daughter's house. It really isn't right for a dog to be kept in such circumstances. Daughter says she is going to put a complaint to the council. I don't understand how the lady's son can be her carer ( and presumably getting an allowance for that ) and be going out to work. GRRRR.....

• LINDA – washing machine is with everything else on a multi-appliance agreement. They have ordered a main bearing in advance of the visit next week. Sorry you got stung, hope there has been no worse reaction following on.

CLARE - very near – about one third distance to Lockerbie from us!

PAT – people going past all the time! Glad you were pleased with hotel in Bredbury – you needed that sleep!

DIANE – good luck finding a suitable vehicle for not too many $$$! The old car sure knew the best time to give up now you can afford to replace it!

HEATHER – my OH is my full-time carer and is paid nothing, so don’t judge that lady and her son too harshly. However, the dog problem definitely needs sorting!

Had final nurse visit this morning, with strict instructions to phone if we need them. Quite a muddled day with finishing freezing the shopping from yesterday, unexpected phonecalls etc.
  • My bite on my wrist is now nothing but a memory, and a tiny hole. Thankfully, I'm not allergic to anything which bites me, which makes a change as I'm allergic to a lot of other weird things, including some makeup and lipsticks!!

OG - Good that you managed to go shopping. And that the w. machine is in process to be repaired.

Heather- That's a terrible story, about the dog. We used to live next door to a woman who had two huskies but went out to work for a full day, five days a week. She expected us to be sympathetic when she told us that the dogs had eaten her internal kitchen door. They were full of life, and energy, and it took all my strength not to say "Why do you have them?"

• SunnyKate - Thanks for the info. Only just seen your post as we must have both posted together this morning.
  • Heather: Sounds like your daughter's neighbor needs a cat, not a dog. Hope something can be done about the racket for everyone's sake, including the dog's.

Tx all for updates on scratches, bites, appliances! :-)
  • Unknown said:
    I don't understand how the lady's son can be her carer ( and presumably getting an allowance for that ) and be going out to work.

You can earn up to £128 a week (after deductions) and be eligible for Carer's Allowance.  He can still be her carer if he earns more than that, he just won't qualify for the allowance.  I certainly agree that they shouldn't have a dog.

• Now safely home - and very pleased to be here! A long (230 miles) and heavy drive today. I don't like the motorway system around Birmingham, but it had to be negotiated and I've known it worse. But so many idiot white van men and lorry drivers which pull out just as my little car is passing them! I was driving on the speed limit so shouldn't have been holding anyone up - but so many cars drive way over the speed limit and dodge around between lanes. How do they get away with it? And how do they manage to live so long??? OK - rant over!

I was so fortunate with my overnight stop. Extremely comfortable, and had a wonderful sleep. It will be good to get into my own bed tonight - I seem to have experienced several in the past few days!
  • PatO; Welcome home. And I have no idea how those crazy drivers live so long - just as long as they don't take out anyone else when they make a wrong move. My BiL said many of the truck drivers on the UK roads are European (not sure how true that is since Brexit) and their steering wheels are on the 'wrong' side of the vehicle, which would seem a major impediment when changing lanes. Still, glad you managed to survive. :-)

• HEATHER – I wonder why some city people have dog/s, especially the large one that need so much exercise. It is interesting how many dogs & babies get exercised during partial lockdowns!

PAT – I was not in a hurry & didn’t travel long distances per day, thus I would lurk behind a slowish-moving caravan. . . until they pulled into a service station.

Warm spring day here, ie slight headache, itchy eyes. Stupidly I spent 10 mins weeding. Chicken pie for tea, filling done & awaiting ready-made pastry sheets. I expect to produce 6 or 7 meals-worth.

• An English professor wrote the words, "Woman without her man is nothing," on the blackboard and directed the students to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."

The women wrote: "Woman! Without her, man is nothing."