Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy, safe week. 

• Before we left after lunch today, I went to give a blood sample which my doctor had requested. A very chatty nurse, which was nice, but oh dear! The bruise on my arm will last for a week, it's already black, purple and beige.
  • AQ;  Thank you for the link re the mice. Interesting that they're looking at making genetic changes (or something like that) that would result in births of male only offspring. Hope they coming up with something before the spring, when that woman says things could get worse....

Lindybird:  Have a good weekend...

• LINDY: I'm sorry about your injured arm. I hope it won't hurt long. I also hope the results of the blood test are good. Have a wonderful relaxing time in Wales. Sending you good energy!
  • AQ: Oh, mercy. That article about the mouse plague made me shiver. I revere all earth's creatures, but mice are not my favorite.

That's fascinating, though, about the potential use of the biocontrol strategy (genetic engineering) to slow the mouse infestation. Manipulating nature to that degree is always risky, but your country is facing a dangerous emergency with the out-of-control mouse population. When I worked in the pharmaceutical industry, I was always very impressed with the research and innovation at the University of Adelaide and other facilities in Australia. They were always at the top of the world. So, if anyone can solve the mouse explosion, I'd bet on your country.

Hope you're feeling okay, AQ. 

• Speaking of research...

An astonishing discovery was just announced here: The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 is widespread among our wild White-Tailed Deer!!! This deer species is very common in many states and they live close to people. I have a herd in my woods that cross my yard daily to visit the creek for water. They're even common in the suburbs (parks, golf courses, etc.).

The U.S. Department of Agriculture tested blood samples from White-Tailed Deer between January and March 2021 in four U.S. states — Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and New York.

A remarkable 40% of the samples contained SARS-CoV-2 antibodies! Antibodies are produced when an animal gets the infection. None of the deer appeared to be sick, but the data strongly indicate that our deer have had the virus. 

This is bad news, because herds of infected wild animals could provide a refuge where the virus can mutate, which could lessen or end the effectiveness of the vaccines. Infected wild herds could also allow the virus to spread to other species and back to people, even after the pandemic subsides. Researchers don't know how the deer were exposed to the virus (wastewater, etc.). Further research is needed to know whether this spillover into wildlife could be occurring worldwide.   SOURCE

• I am fine. Busy but not sure what I have achieved today!
  • My cooking is fabulous even the smoke alarm is cheering me on.

I don’t cook on days that end in “y”.

Why do brides wear white? Because it’s the most popular colour for kitchen appliances.

• What happened to my font size? Was same as above.
  • aquilareen said:

My cooking is fabulous even the smoke alarm is cheering me on.

I don’t cook on days that end in “y”.

Why do brides wear white? Because it’s the most popular colour for kitchen appliances.

Hmmmmmmm.  A bloke definitely thought of that last one!

Just for the record I got married in off-white.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Thanks, everyone for interesting links and for your news
    I'm preparing for the invasion later today, son and family. I'll be like LINDY, checking for fingerprints 3 feet up from the floor....