Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 August 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

I hope everyone has a wonderful, healthy, safe week. 

• Words are failing me again, Diane. That last bit about the woman and her 5-year-old granddaughter is absolutely heartbreaking.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• It is completely bonkers, DIANE and very dangerous thinking. . I thought that our Flat Earth Society was bad enough but it's very tame in comparison.
  • CLARE: I'm looking at your beautiful photos of your recent trip to Wales. I really love that colorful pic of the cliff top. The hovering kestrel is lovely. The linnets are very dignified birds. I was not familiar with them. Those choughs are fabulous!!! So glad you managed to see them to make your trip complete. Thanks for posting. I'm having a bout of insomnia, and these were a lovely middle-of-the-night journey.

• HEATHER and PAT: I think you are right about shift work contributing to sleep problems later in life. My Dad was an autoworker on the night shift. When I was a small child, I'd always jump out of bed to greet him when he arrived home about 1:00 a.m. To this day, I'm a night owl. I want to stay up late and sleep late. I think it's because I trained myself as a child to be awake at that time.

• ANNETTE – I found this day-old report on the mouse plague. As a news item mice have been overtaken by the covid crisis in NSW. Sydney & parts of NSW are in lockdown; positive case numbers continue to rise.

LINDA – That young woman is so foolish. In Sydney young people are catching the Delta strain, being hospitalized and one man in 20s died this week. Yes, the under 40s could not get vaccinated earlier, but no excuse now. Aussies first began jabbing the elderlies & front-line workers. Gradually they reached the over 40s. Now in Sydney they are jabbing as young as Year 12 (final year school). Love the cat cartoon – so true.

• Just a thought

Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.

• Heather B said:
    I thought that our Flat Earth Society was bad enough

To be honest I tend to think of them as harmless eccentrics.  Those Q'anon people, though, are clearly completely off their collective trolley.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• We are back in Wales again. Just finished wiping the sticky fingermarks left by my grandchildren on the glass doors.... They all had a wonderful time here and I hope they made lots of memories.

We arrived this afternoon in the rain, but it's clearing now and it's not cold. A showery day tomorrow then maybe it will be better over the weekend.