MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• It's interesting how the behaviour changes so quickly after youngsters gone and it's just the two of them. 33 stays much more by Maya's side and even eats on fallen tree rather than up high in poplars. Maya very happy he is close on the perch despite her eating!
  • Brilliant LAM - can clearly see the two of them - thank you very much :-)

And I am pleased for you seeing this - just makes the trip worth while doesn't it?
  • 33 just flown up to poplars. Maya still has the fish but is taking a rest from eating it!
  • Aww glad it worked for you to see as well, yes that's made the trip! Although seeing them and just being here is always a treat! Don't really need a lot more than that but it has been very difficult to see them this last few times as they have been well hidden in the trees so this has been special.
    Somehow to see this calm after all the chaos gives a sureal feeling!
  • Maya just took the fish for a fly around, relieved herself, now back on the fallen poplar. 33 still sat in tree.
  • Fish off again with Maya taking another fly around. She too now has gone up into the tree. She is totally out of sight! Shouldn't have said earlier that they were both now in sight more as that has surely scuppered that. Lol!
  • LAM - I know exactly what you mean about "to see this calm after all the chaos" as that was how I felt looking at the nest first thing this morning.

I am just so pleased to know that Maya and 33 are spending some time together before they depart for the season.

And speaking of "depart" I must go out now. Enjoy the rest of your visit and once more thank you for all today's updates/captures off cam. Catch up later - BFN
  • Yes Karen thank you for that lovely shot it was beautiful and sums up today to a t! We cannot see much at the moment so we will have some lunch, then perhaps head off to lagoon 4 where we understand a glossy ibis is and 6 ospreys! Well we'll see that all sounds very hopeful :-)
    Anything else of note we will let you know before we go! You are very welcome to all we see-even if it's all wrong way round :-)
  • Maya to campost with fish and still eating. 33 to nest and then on to his perch! The perch he had to give up to 096 in order for him to be fed away from the nest.

• Sadly we have to go and leave these two fantastic birds to a very safe journey to their wintering grounds and a big thank you to them for allowing us to be a fly on the wall letting us share their family life.
    Maya still eating and 33 is in the poplar tree.