MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• This is a big feed for 33- Maya impatient takes a quick flight and back to the nest.
  • 16:45  33 finishes and just stands with the fish 

back on the move!   can just make out 33 on the fallen poplar

And at the nest, Maya continues to wait and still calling

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Yes a big feed LAM - well over an hour!

I wonder where 096 and 095 are? I am surprised 095 has not appeared hearing Maya fish calling. They must be well out of the bay!
  • 17:46   33, at last, flies across the bay with the fish 

then to the nest with the fish for Maya

Maya quickly grabs the fish

33 flies off 

Maya gets hold of it

and flies off with the fish

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 33 finally brings fish to the nest Maya takes it for a short flight and then takes it to fallen Poplar - 33 washes his feet - still no Young Ones.
  • It's a lovely evening now and just noticed Maya's perch is in state of dilapidation :-(! No wonder she didn't risk eating that whopper on it :-)

• LAM - I must go for a bit but I have my fingers crossed that 096 and 095 appear as it will be awful if you have just missed them by a few hours.

Enjoy the rest of the evening - talk later. BFN

• Oh my goodness shouldn't have said it was lovely evening look at it now lol!

• Thank you Karen we knew it was close but perhaps not soooo close like you say to miss them by a few hours! 096 don't think has been seen today and not yet sure of his last sighting but working on it! It's still nice to see Maya and 33 more relaxed and hopefully they'll put on some good flying over the next day or too for us :-) Who knows even they may spiral off too if 096 and 095 don't show! Talk later.

scylla

13 Aug 2021 2:49 AM

In reply to Geemeff:

Geemeff said:

The whole family seen today from Waderscrape Hide, with apologies for my shaky photography - I'm much better at clipping bits off the livestream!

A real live movie is even more exciting than an online cam, tho - brilliant, IMHO

Loved all the "other birds" too!

Karen

13 Aug 2021 6:36 AM

Morning ALL.

Thanks for the updates, captures and the video from your visit Geemeff which I hope you enjoyed and am so pleased you saw the entire family.

Thank you SCYLLA and KAREN, kind words, I struggled with my borrowed camera and much prefer being an iphone clicker - I'm in awe of proper photographers!

It was very exciting to see the family after so many years watching via nest cam. Had perfect weather too, also for the Rutland Belle cruise the night before (Ospreys flying all around!), then it rained on the drive home, so feel very fortunate. Apologies for late response, I seem to have been locked out of the forum until now after clearing cache and resetting cookies on my laptop - oh the joys of technology...