MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• patily said:
    Awwww! look what I came back and found

I'm so happy for you, PATILY, that must have made your day  - Shark Fish Eagle

IMAGICAT

• It has SCYLLA Definitely, thank you
  • Maya had brought the fish back to the nesta while ago and juststood with it, gazing around Now she has made a beautifulflyaway with it, off the back of thenest and away across the whole eoanse of thewater that we can see, disappearing right up in the top right corner
  • Morning Karen, Patily, Scylla and All
    How lovely to see them both here and they are looking so relaxed together now.
    Thank you for all the updates and so pleased Patily you got to see them.
    We are busy grabbing as many shots now as we can as like you say Karen everytime we see them could be the last! But it's been terrific that they have stayed long enough to restore this loveliness to the nest for which we are sooo grateful :-)
  • Hi LAM - yes it was lovely to see them both this morning. Likewise, I too am grabbing screenshots as we just never know when they will just take it into their head and set off south.
  • patily said:
    Maya had brought the fish back to the nesta while ago and juststood with it, gazing around Now she has made a beautifulflyaway with it, off the back of thenest and away across the whole eoanse of thewater that we can see, disappearing right up in the top right corner

Patily - what a lovely description of Maya with her fish and departure.  I am so pleased you managed to see them.   I did capture her but was unable to post earlier so here are some captures to go with your post :-)

08:16   "Maya brought the fish back to the nest" - considering she has already eaten the head, what a whopper it was!

"just stood with it gazing around"

08:57  "Now she has made a beautiful flyaway with it off the back of the nest"

across the whole water

"disappearing right up in the top right corner"

©   LRWT

• Thanks for those lovely captures KAREN
  • Morning ALL

Patily - you're welcome :-)   

And here are two cut down videos of  Maya's two visits on the nest yesterday from arrival, with 33, eating and then flying off 

Maya arrives with fish @ 07:30, eats then flies off @ 08:15 on 26 Aug 2021

Maya returns, eat more fish and flies off 05:57 on 26 Aug 2021

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

I wonder but I have a feeling that this is the last we see of Maya at the nest this season!!

• Later I was planning to just change the monthly thread's heading to  "August 2021 to End of February 2022"  as don't see any point starting a new thread for Sept.    

Hope no objections :-)