MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• 33 back without fish! Perhaps just stretching his wings in readiness!
  • Hi LAM – thanks for all the updates. 

Thanks for letting us know that both 096 and 095 were last seen yesterday morning.   And yes, time will tell if they are actually off however  I do suspect 095 definitely is for I cannot imagine her not on the nest standing guard far less by-passing a fish :-D 

About Maya and fishing - quote “maybe he thinks she should go and get her own now”.   Didn’t 33 think that in 2020?    Pretty sure it was that season and once the last juvenile was off, he just stopped fishing for her, totally ignoring her calls and she eventually went off and got herself a fish.   But he did share his fish yesterday with her so maybe that was a one off and he will continue to feed her.   

Here is a capture of Maya when she was on the nest

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

And as you mention, a short video of her flying off down the bay.   

I now find myself wondering every time they take off “is this the last we will see them this season”.

• Latest from Rutland -  it does look like 096 and 095 are off!!

Both last seen yesterday (22 August) morning:

095 at 09:10 & 

096 at 09:13

Blue 095(21)

Blue 096(21)

©   Chris Woods /   © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Oh Karen thank you for this update and the wonderful photos taken by Chris Wood of their departure and also your captures and vid as definitely everytime could be their last time! So pleased we got here this weekend and not next as that would have been a little disappointing but we always find something else to look at and explore!
    Yes 2020 rings a bell that 33 didn't feed her and we were thinking he was so mean :-). Strange but guess their job done and they return to being single and solitary again until they are ready for mating and the circle begins again!
    For the time being they are here and we'll watch every minute we can and enjoy the peace and calm that has returned to Manton Bay!
    Maya does look a picture of beauty in your capture Karen!
  • 18:04   33 on the nest - unseen intruder ??

18:07   Maya joins him

both alert

18:09  Maya flies off

18:12   followed by 33

ENS

• Thanks LAM.

Yes, good you got there when you did but I still feel for you that it wasn't a few hours earlier or if 096 and 095 had just held on a bit!! But never mind - they are ospreys and a law unto themselves LOL

I would think Maya and 33 will remain for a couple of days just to make sure they are indeed away. Then 33 will want Maya to get going so he can set off too.

Always a sad time but also wonderful knowing Maya and 33 have once more fulfilled their purpose successfully raising two strong, healthy chicks. Yes - A Job Well Done :-)

• Aw yes we know.... Missed by a few hours Karen so close but so far!
    We have had a lovely day though and the weather has been great! Maya just had a lovely fly round and currently they are both sat together on Maya's perch!
  • Fish to the nest! Gosh he got that quick!
  • 33 eating head off on Maya's perch!
    Let's hope he let's Maya have some supper!
    If he does that's perhaps his gift to say bye bye!
  • Hi LAM - I'm a bit lost here lol   

Maybe I am missing something - is there another fish as my PC crashed and just back up - but Maya has just brought a huge live fish to the nest!

19:45   33 arrives

followed immediately by Maya who has a huge, live fish!

Maya stands on it while 33 turns his back

19:46  Maya then flies off with it

33 remains on the nest

19:52   33 flies off 

Video:  Maya arrives with large, live fish @ 19:45 on 23 Aug 2021