MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• I have just noticed that somewhere\how I've miscalculated the chicks ages!!  ConfusedBlush 

Apologies and of course I have gone back and amended so ages are all now correct.   So ....  

096 who hatched on 8 May, today is 99 days old (not 101) and

095 who hatched on 10 May is 97 days old (not 99)

• Karen W said:

I have just noticed that somewhere\how I've miscalculated the chicks ages!!    

Apologies and of course I have gone back and amended so ages are all now correct. 

No need to apologise Karen. Your devotion to this nest is admirable, thank you. Feeling sad it's near the end of the season. I've been in the Rutland area for the last few days but circumstances meant I couldn't visit. One day, one day, I'll make it, like Dyfi

• Thanks Korky - it is actually a lovely nest to follow and a pleasure reporting on their activities :-)

Shame you could not visit when in the area and hope it was not down to anything too unfortunate.

And "one day" is what I am always saying and no doubt, "one day" it will happen for you and me :-)
  • Morning ALL

catch up on earlier activities

05:19   095 first visit to the nest

off and on the nest a couple of times

06:07   095 calling for her breakfish

06:30  33 arrives with a fish

06:31 comes down from the campost to claim

33 flies off and 095 tucks in

06:54   095, finished and beak cleaned, flies off

ENS

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Morning All
    Thank you for the updates Karen its been busy :-)
    Been reading back and just seen the ages of the chicks which is good news as means they could be around a bit longer for us to have chance of a further visit. Yes Karen and Korky one day truly hope you can get a visit. It is a lovely nest to follow and as it's where Lyn grew up - Leicestershire - fond memories of visiting long before ospreys were even there!
  • Just correcting the above as Manton Bay is in Rutland which of course is next county to Leicestershire :-) Do not wish to offend anyone :-)
  • Thank you for all your effort in keeping the details of the chicks ages correct. That's really good of you. Great captures on this page, as usual :) and it's always good to read your comments under the captures.
  • Morning LAM - yes, at least it was in our favour and we have another couple of days lol   I do hope you manage another visit.

Meanwhile, a brief catch on activity when I was out

09:32   095 on the nest and calling

09:33  33 arrives with a stick

095 not too pleased about that lol

33 flies off

095 soon flew off - ENS

10:00  095 returns

She spends about half an hour on the nest.

c  LRWT

• Morning LAM - yes, at least it was in our favour and we have another couple of days lol   I do hope you manage another visit.

Meanwhile, a brief catch on activity when I was out