MANTON BAY – AUGUST 2021 to end of FEBRUARY 2022

Continued from Manton Bay – July 2021.  

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

2021 Season Summary:  On 19 March, Blue 33(11) returned at 12:29 and Maya at 12:52.  Three eggs were laid, #1 on 30 March at 11:45#2 seen on 2 April at 07:34 and #3 on 5 April at 07:05.  Sadly only two eggs hatched, the first on 8 May at 19:51 and the second on 10 May at 19:48, one being unviable.   The chicks were ringed on 19 June.  Chick #1, a male, was fitted with the blue darvic 096 and Chick #2, a female, was fitted with blue 095 . At 54 days old, Blue 096 fledged at 12:12 on 1 July and Blue 095, aged 53 days old, at 11:12 on 2 July.  On 22 August at 09:10, Blue 095 aged 104 days old, set off on migration and 3 minutes later, 09:13, Blue 096 aged 106 days old left.   Maya and Blue 33(11) remained and finally set off - Maya on 30 August and Blue 33(11) the next morning on 31 August.

Webcam/Copyright© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Thank you Karen.
    All been very quiet. Maya gone into tree 096 joined her covered so not sure who got the fish. Maya may still have it!
  • 095 gets the fish after all Maya's hard work to get it to 096!
  • Maya still has the fish LAM and has just arrived to the nest with it 

13:31   095 has been on and off the nest and now waits as Maya approaches with the fish

Maya releases the fish and 095 takes it

Maya flies off

095 is up and down with it

095 stands at the edge of the nest screeching - she is very unsettled

13:33   095 flies off with the fish

c  LRWT

• 096 arrives!!

095 returns with the fish

095 chases 096 off the nest

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• LAM - quite a bit of excitement there!!     

095 has taken off with the fish!! 

I wonder if 096 will return and hopefully get another chance to grab it should 095 return!     I do hope 096 gets it as he needs to eat too.  

Have to go for a bit.  Hope you have a pleasant afternoon and will catch up soon :-)

• Yes Karen that was quite exciting! We didn't see 096 get a fish by the time we have had to leave but saw some great flying today!
    Always feels strange leaving them as never know if they will be gone soon! Thank you for your great nest coverage and as always our lovely talks and speak again soon!
  • Thanks LAM and also to you for all your off cam reports.

It has been enlightening learning more of their behaviour around the nest and I am grateful to you both for all these updates.

I have not seen 096 get a fish since you posted but 33 may of course have slipped him a small fish on the perch.

The one thing I have missed has been seeing the whole family on the nest and I don't think we will.

Safe journey home and we'll catch up soon.
  • Today's portraits

096 - 94 days old

095 - 92 days old

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

The days are starting to pass very quickly now and it wont be long until these two head off south. 

Off now -  BFN

• Hi Karen
    Thank you for your kind comments and yes 33 may have slipped him a small fish on the perch. Yes agreed don't think we'll see them again now as a family on the nest they are too independent.
    What we were going to put on yesterday but ran out of time when you put on their ages was "today 096 is 95? But tomorrow he'll be himself" :-) :-) :-)
    Sorry just our ridiculous sense of humour!
    Pleased we went to MB last week and this to assess the strange behaviour as at least we can feel a bit reassured there is a system in place and they'll all be ok. We may be able to squeeze another couple of days in before end of August but not sure yet! We'll be moral support on the nest watching in any case and we'll keep in touch.
    Best wishes
    Lyn and Mike
  • Oh meant to say on leaving we saw Abi and she did confirm that 096 went out of the bay when he vanished in July for a few days and not just staying on perches in the bay when we couldn't see him!