WEEKLY CHAT (NON-OSPREY) SUNDAY, JULY 11, 2021

Alas!  No pretty pictures a la Diane.  But welcome to the new week anyway.  And don't miss Lindybird's photos of cake and kiddie on last page of last week. 

• Good Morning. A sunny start here so I'm hoping we can relax - my poor OH had a rough time at the dentists yesterday and his jaw still aches.

We have been busily spending at least some of our children's inheritance, but as ours came from both sides of the family we are also conscious of the fact that our parents worked very hard for it, and we feel we want to pass some of it on down to the next generation.
  • Glad you are in Wales again. Have wonderful time. I think the amount you were talking about is £28,000.
  • dibnlib said:
    Glad you are in Wales again. Have wonderful time. I think the amount you were talking about is £28,000.

I know it has changed recently. You can only imagine how much of my father's investments disappeared as my poor mother was in care for nearly eight years, and the monthly amount she was expected to contribute was eye watering. They had married pre war with nothing in their pockets except 10 pounds and a new frying pan. He was proud of the life he had given us all, and his success in life.

• Glad you are in Wales, LINDY.
    Yes, it's nice to be able to pass money on, but should be your decision, made in your own time ! I find it to be quite heart breaking when children seem to care more about money than they do about their parents.
  • Another perspective - my Danish friends pay very high taxes etc but the child care and older person care that they receive is spectacular - their father only paid about £50 weekly for care, a sitting room, bedroom and kitchenette in the care home. We can't expect the Ritz when we've only paid in very little. Our state pension is probably one of the smallest in Europe but our personal contribution rate is quite low. The whole system should be sorted out - I have no strong political views, by the way !
  • This is not the place for heavy discussion, I will leave it there and not enter into a debate !
    On a lighter note, the sun is shining here !!
  • The sun is shining brightly here as well. I have just got back from a wonderful visit to Polesden Lacey, which was looking lovely. We walked miles ... hadn't got my FitBit with me! It was very hot but the occasional breeze helped with that. Not sure I entirely view with NT's decision to 're-wild' a lot of areas, as some of them just look tatty. But most of the borders look lovely. And we walked through lots of woodland areas which are always so beautiful when the sun shines through the leaves and dapple the ground. We had originally planned to go yesterday, which was grey and overcast and cold - so pleased we now don't have to book in advance and could change our minds to go today instead. Now I'm watching the golf, which is only about 50 miles away as the golf ball flies, but I fear my eyes are getting heavy ...
  • In my mind, PAT, Polesden Lacey has a connection with the Queen Mother. I could be wrong, though !
    You have had a lovely day out but I'm not surprised that you are tired

• Heather - The Queen Mother spent part of her honeymoon there. You might be interested in this history of the house, with some lovely old photographs.

www.regencyhistory.net/.../polesden-lacey-regency-history-guide.html