MANTON BAY - MAY 2021

Continued from Manton Bay –  April 2021

The history of the Manton Bay nest, breeding stats and links to previous threads can be found here.

The season so far:   March 19,  Blue 33(11) returned 12:29 closely followed by Maya @ 12:54.   On March 30 Egg #1 was laid @ 11:45 , April 2, Egg #2 was seen @ 07:34 and on April 5 Egg #3 was laid @ 07:05 .    

Webcam/Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Tried to adjust abit the light. Crow given up but 33 enjoying his fish before heading back to nest 

• 33 sat on campost before heading off for yes, another fishing trip! Great flying display but no catch but don't think this family likely to be going hungry! Thank you 33 privlidge to watch your efforts and made our day sat here in all this nasty weather! 

• 33 had another go fishing! He is certainly making an effort for us - the only audience for him! Again no fish ! Perhaps this is exercise rather than actually fishing? 

• Hi LAM - thanks for the updates and captures. 

I assume, well hope, you are both truly well wrapped up and got some hot liquids with you.  What terrible weather!   

My brother and his mates are going down to Rutland this coming Thursday for a weeks fishing and they are hoping for a big change in the weather! 

Meanwhile  33 is back at the nest sheltering Maya as she shelters the chicks!

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• Thank you Karen.
    I think it won't be as bad as this for your brothers visit so he'll have a great time if he can grab a fish before 33 takes them all lol!
    Hope you are feeling better today and keeping warm.
    We have 3 pairs of trousers and 8 top layers we can hardly move!!
    All worth it though to see this special family! Although the nest is so far away and viewing on the cam is much better for seeing them. We can't even see Maya and the chicks at all, only when she pokes her head up a bit.
  • Brother is saying it is forecast to clear up late next week but we are hoping a lot sooner for this lovely family and all the nests around.    

So sad but we can only hope there aren't too many losses as this weather can be devastating.

LOL  he always is relieved when 33 arrives with roach and the like and leaves the trout.   They are all pea green of 33 who can out fish them any day LOL

I am better thanks and pleased you are wrapped up well!!    

And at the nest:    33 has just taken the fish from the back of the nest (there are two fish) and flown off with it so you may see him some where tucking in 

and Maya, bless her continues doing a sterling job

©  LWRT

• Yes Karen we can see him on a dead tree in front of waters edge eating away in the pouring rain!
    Yes I'm worried about this weather destroying the nests. Poor bird at dyfi had nothing to eat yet nor has chick. Also for all other birds too.! Fingers crossed they all survive!
  • LAM - fingers crossed for all the nests :-)

33 arrives back with the fish

Maya rises and takes the other fish  Chicks up too!

Maya starts feeding

both chicks being well fed

I wondered if 33 would feed too but no, he left the fish on the nest and the feeding to Maya :-)

• 33 has flown and Maya continues feeding

they are changing every time we see them !!

Sadly I must go for a bit

LAM - enjoy the rest of your day.    BFN

• 14.58 Maya finally gets a comfort flight and 33 briefly joins her and returns to cam post to stand guard - Maya returns after 2 minutes. Its a bit brighter now and wind moved to more westerly.