Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 18 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a joyful, safe week! Be sure to check back to last week's thread to see Lindy's photos and other posts!

• I have only visited Mull once but found it to indeed be beautiful. My great great grandfather Angus McDonald and his wife Margaret were born there, married there in 1812.
  • Pat O said:
    I'm not sure whether 'Wings Over Mull' is still operating

I'll have to email the B&B we've booked as I can't find a website or a recent Trip Advisor review.  If they are there, we'll be visiting them.  Thanks for that!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - If you let me know where you are staying (the name of the nearest town/village/settlement) I can point you in the direction of the things you really should see and places you really should visit. I can also tell you where the very rare public loos are situated, and the best macaroni cheese can be eaten!
  • We're staying near Dervaig. Sadly, Wings over Mull closed down some time ago.

Many thanks, Pat - you're most kind.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• A very good choice, Dervaig. Very near lots of sea eagle spotting places! And not too far from the macaroni cheese, either. I thought Wings Over Mull had closed - but the girl who used to run it was (last time I was there) working with the Scottish Wildlife Trust and doing sea eagle nest watch trips. She told me then that they were hoping to be able to reopen WoM, but I guess that hasn't happened. I'll point you towards some of my favourite spots which I think you will enjoy as well.
  • Well, thanks to all the talk of Mull, I've just spent about 45 minutes on Google Earth exploring Dervaig (that took about 5 minutes) and all the islands around there. Tiny hamlets and lots and lots of water. Quite an isolated life I imagine, especially in the winter, but I may be way off there....
  • Busy, busy, busy… . Getting things done and things moved – week after next sounds a long way off, but not long to empty a whole room. This morning was spent calculating which money to move to what account, and then paying large amounts for car and kitchen! Meanwhile OH, with J’s help, is still keeping up with normal life. He has mowed half the front grass and will continue when battery is charged. I have been typing magazine contributions which arrive handwritten – easily distracted by pair of Siskins and numerous Goldfinches feeding outside the study window.

ANNETTE – not sure how long kitchen will take – they have to make accurate measurements to cut the worktops once all else is done – then we shall have to get new carpet laid through dining room and kitchen. I had thought of paper plates during the work but really don’t like using them. I think J will cope with washing up in the back of the garage. Glad you enjoyed your celebratory meal – sounds excellent, especially having fewer numbers in. I was all prepared today to say Happy Anniversary but obviously I have the date wrong!

AQ – No supermeal 4th May! That is just the first day of installation – 3rd is demolition day of old kitchen, but there are changes to layout etc, not just straightforward replacement. Enjoyed the altered meanings quotes, and the thought behind the one from last night. Glad you have your vaccine booked, don’t let your OH hold you back.

LYNETTE – I hope your booked holiday will really happen this year – a good area to choose.

CLARE – I so hope you get to Mull this year while Limpy is fit enough to enjoy it.

PAT – glad you have your Mull priorities right, with White Tailed Eagles and Mac-cheese!

We haven’t even thought of a holiday this year, but we are looking forward to probable local days out.
  • Annette - Yes, there is a great deal of water around Dervaig - around all of Mull, indeed! The highlight of the village is of course the 'pencil church'. The first time I went, many years ago, there was a tiny bookshop (tiny at the front but very long!) where you could walk in, put the kettle on, make a coffee, choose a book and sit and read as long as you liked! Nobody bothered you to spend money. The owner was pretty old then, and I can't imagine he's still alive - I've never tried to find the shop again but I can't imagine it's still there. But there is a very interesting shop-***-cafe up in the hills just behind the village where they have the most delicious home made cakes - and the owner remembers everyone she has ever met! So lovely, a long way from home, to be greeted by name after an absence of a couple of years!
  • Oops - think I've used what the site thinks is a rude word ...
  • Pat O said:
    Oops - think I've used what the site thinks is a rude word ...

I can't imagine what it was!