Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The moon turns new on Sunday night/Monday morning in UK and US. I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week and finds some moments of joy. 

Here in Indiana, everyone is walking the woods and the fields searching the ground for morel mushrooms! It's a highly anticipated rite of spring here, and the mushrooms are very tasty! 

Morel Mushroom with Snails
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Warren Bielenberg/NPS
Photo labeled "Public domain" (copyright free)

• OG See you're still getting things done! Well done on getting the veggies started. We planted out some bedding plants this morning in bright sunshine, but only an half hour later, it was trying to snow.

I have, as usual, been contradictory this week. I wrote yesterday complaining to the BBC about the non stop coverage of the Duke's death - far too much. Don't they know that some people live alone, and have not even been out of the house in months? They will be depressed enough without hearing endlessly about how sad it is.

On the other hand, I wrote a tribute to the Duke myself, on a local Facebook page.
  • OG I always think "what a waste" when flowers are left on such occasions. How much more sensible to donate to charities especially when the family have made their thoughts clear.
  • Lindy - I don't consider that contradictory. I think our Royal Family is wonderful. But the coverage on Friday was so far over the top. The world did not stop turning, Myanmar and Northern Ireland didn't suddenly become peaceful, the global pandemic didn't suddenly come to an end. But all we got, for a full 24 hours, on both television and radio, was the Duke of Edinburgh. I gather the BBC has had shed-loads of complaints. What did they expect? If they had kept the coverage to one channel and juggled the schedule to give us some alternatives, that would have been fine. But no - close everything down!!

Annette - Goodness, that was sudden, and quick. Do take things really gently for a while - your body has been through a lot of stress with no warning.

I had my second Covid jab yesterday. I gather that makes me part of a herd with (almost 100 per cent) immunity. Not that I intend to gather with my fellow herd members (I really don't like that expression - can you tell?!?!?) for any reason at all. My feeling is that we still have a long way to go before this virus is defeated, or even under control. I did go for a coffee with a friend yesterday - it was far too cold to sit outside so we sat in her conservatory with the doors open (it was still very cold - enough to kill any virus) but don't think I will be boing any further than that for a while.

Hope everyone is keeping well and enjoying the really strange and changeable weather. Great news about an egg at LotL I missed it by ten minutes!
  • Apropos Prince Philip, it sounds like the BBC's coverage was in complete contrast to what PP himself chose for his funeral - simple and low-key.  Still, at least, as AQ says, it provided overseas viewers a welcome change from Covid coverage.   I'm a bit conflicted about flowers and while I agree that donations to charities would be much more practical, I see those small bunches left as modest but very personal gestures of affection.

Diane: Looks like you're in for some nasty weather.

Had a reasonably good night; thanks all for good wishes!  :-)

• Good to hear that you managed some decent sleep, Annette, after all the drama and a mini operation. Do take care of yourself {{HUGS}}

Pat, I see that an egg has been laid at Glaslyn, too. It's very exciting to be back in Osprey Season again.
  • Osprey Eggs and snow - but we are well used to that! Had three quite significant showers today, but all disappeared - hope the roads will be safe tomorrow.
  • Diane - once again thanks for the start off for the week.

Annette - sorry to hear about your appendicitis but glad that they caught it in time and that you are now home. No hanging about then, in and out in a day. Take it easy to begin with until you feel able to get back to normal.

Listened to the news and Andrew spoke about his dad, as they all have in this last couple of days. He was a remarkable man giving up his promising naval career for a life of service to his Queen and Country. Let's hope Charles can attempto to follow in his footsteps and help the family through the grief and loss of Phillip.

Managed to get to church again today, pity we couldn't have had the last hymn outside again, weather was sunny but cold.
  • I have been packing up knitted beanies, etc to drop at charity shop. I keep finding more. . .  and a bag of jackets needing buttons. <insert sweary words> Sewing is not my favourite task. Instead I made pumpkin soup for lunch. OH said nothing, probably wishing he had gone out for lunch LOL.

Dau phoned yestereve with report on school holidays (began Friday!). The Trio have been camping since then. . . in a tent . . . in their backyard. The first night they said they got up at 2.30 am for a snack and then had a little nap. Hm. The cats are loving it, running in and out. I suggested it was a cheap & easy camping trip with no packing, no petrol, no site fees. Dau said she doesn’t have to wake to accompany a child to the toilet.

• Just a thought

Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. (Anthony J D’Angelo)

• Good Morning. We're up early simply because we awoke early, and we have much to do today. Just checked the rules for Wales, and although its legal for us to go, we can only meet friends outdoors there, and there will not be any cafes serving coffees etc, even outside, until the following week. Never mind, we will enjoy going on our usual favourite walks.

Hope Annette is feeling stronger and more normal, and AQs little campers have managed to sleep in all their excitement!