Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 April 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY EASTER TO EVERYONE WHO CELEBRATES

I hope you all have a joyful Sunday and a healthy, safe week!

A sunlit Easter Bunny delivering eggs 
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Chelsi Burns/USFWS
Photo labeled "Public Domain" (copyright free)

• Just a thought

The greatest gift in life is to be remembered. (Ken Venturi)

• Unknown said:
    Will be interesting to see if the Queen hangs up her crown, but I somehow doubt it.

She won't do that.  She must be able to remember the circumstances in which her father became King.  I know that Charles now does a fair amount of her duties, but that makes good sense.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning. Lots of tributes to Prince Philip all day yesterday - an extraordinary life remembered. H. M Queen will miss him hugely of course but I don't think she will ever abdicate as she believes she has been given her enormous duty by God, and she is very much a traditionalist, too. She may give up some duties to delegate if she becomes too frail but I think she will live a long time, like her mother.

Liked your photos, AQ - glad you're getting out and about. If anyone gets the time, by the way, there are some stunning bird pics on the BBC Site where they are showing Bird Photographer of the year.
  • It's affected me more than I would have expected -
    Shopping and lunch today with eldest daughter.
  • Goodness, it's a Quiet Saturday on here again! My knee appears much better after resting it, once I get over initial stiffness on getting out of bed. Went to the supermarket, taking my stick with me, but was fine just leaning on the trolley.

Had a horrible day yesterday, finding it difficult to do everything I wanted to do, plus spent much fruitless time looking for something, which I haven't found yet. Had words on the phone with the chemists as realised that I'm very short of my usual meds, and its their fault - they seem to have written me off altogether! Grr.

Rant over. Today is better.

• Good some things are better, LINDY.
  • I see that we posted at around the same time, Heather. I hope you enjoyed your day, and seeing your daughter.

I found I was unexpectedly affected by the loss of the Duke - he was very old of course and not immortal, but nevertheless he and Her Majesty have both always been there for most of us, for all our lives. A taste perhaps, of what a huge shock it will be when The Queen dies.

My sis in law and I are both big supporters of the Royal Family, and impressed by their sense of duty and service, and of course very sad about this event, but nevertheless are both rather shocked at the wall to wall coverage given by the media and in particular by the BBC, who have hardly shown anything else for over 24 hours.
  • I'm pretty much with you there, Lindy. I am a great supporter of our Royal Family and think they have done a fabulous job for many years. I have always admired the Duke of Edinburgh for supporting The Queen when he didn't really have much of a role for himself. He could be forgiven the odd gaffe, which usually made us laugh anyway. But the BBC went so far over the top yesterday, cancelling BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4 schedules for the entire day and evening. The world kept turning, there are wars going on, there is massive unrest in Ireland, there is a world pandemic - and yet all we got was repeat after repeat about one man. I don't think the media will have done themselves any favours. And it also makes me think - if that's how they behave when the Duke of Edinburgh dies, how are they going to react when it's his wife's turn?
  • Just popped in to read the latest posts and see many of you have paid tribute to a lovely man.

He was indeed a faithful and true servant to his Queen and Country and also a loving father, grandfather and great grandfather. It seems the funeral arrangements are for 3pm next Saturday with just the family attending at St. George's chapel. Public have been asked to stay away and watch on the TV. So I will be there in spirit . RIP HRH.

Notice it was snowing earlier up at LotL, not sure what sort of a weekend we are in for but do have a good one, folks..