LOCH ARKAIG - THE WOODLAND TRUST - APRIL 2021 to END OF FEBRUARY 2022

LINK TO LOCH ARKAIG OSPREYS WEBSITE

Return Dates for Louis last year was 5th April 08.15 and Aila 6th of April 09.24

The happy couple last year - lets hope its not too long until we see them safely return from migration. 

LINK TO MARCH 2021 THREAD - where all links are to previous threads and history. 

• Three little songbirds visited this afternoon, where's Scylla? More IDs needed!

scylla                        25 Aug 2021 11:34 PM

In reply to Geemeff:

May I offer you the fruits of the expertise I acquired (mostly at Poole Harbour with the help of RICHARD) this season?

It's a Coal Tit

No need to thank me, GEEMEFF, I'm puffed up enough as it is 

• Geemeff said:
    Geemeff:

You She-Devil, you Imp 

2 in one = Great Tit and Blue Tit (I could possibly recognise Blue Tit in mono, its little head has such distinctive markings):

I gave up - if I put a description into Google it keeps giving me Blackcap.  The Coal Tit is the more obvious but it's the LBJ with distinctive (you'd think) markings that I cannot manage Thinking 

I can't count the number of birds I've checked for it - but obviously not enough.  It reminded me of a Wren but I can't think why.

• scylla said:

2 in one = Great Tit and Blue Tit (I could possibly recognise Blue Tit in mono, its little head has such distinctive markings):

I gave up - if I put a description into Google it keeps giving me Blackcap.  The Coal Tit is the more obvious but it's the LBJ with distinctive (you'd think) markings that I cannot manage  

https://youtu.be/SopI1iJZZDA

I can't count the number of birds I've checked for it - but obviously not enough.  It reminded me of a Wren but I can't think why.

Thanks Scylla! Other people have also suggested wren for the LBJ, I googled wren and found there are several varieties so am still not sure. Hope Richard can ID it via your clever video clip, you got a nice crisp zoomed shot.

• I think the light colour as a 'stripe' on its little head makes it either a gold crest - or fire crest but there is not enough detail to be sure.
  • Wow, what a video, every time you looked another bird appeared from somewhere. What a hectic 10 mins.

Quickly looking through there were

Coal Tit
    Great Tit
    Blue tit
    Wren
    Tree Creeper ( bottom left hand corner 1737 and 35 secs )

• Thank you to CIRRUS and RICHARD (I was beginning to worry that you were away, Richard).

Among the birds I checked were Wren, Tree Creeper and Gold/Fire Crest - cross my heart.  I think I amalgamated 2 LBJs into one Stuck out tongue winking eye

• I can't see a Gold/Fire Crest anywhere, and I've watched it 3 times now.

The LBJ in the short video clip is a Wren followed by a Coal Tit.

• Unknown said:
    I can't see a Gold/Fire Crest anywhere

I'm not surprised, but this was a completely unfamiliar bird to me and I hoped I'd find there was a possibility of hidden colour among the stripes but there wasn't so I dismissed it:

• Unknown said:

Wow, what a video, every time you looked another bird appeared from somewhere. What a hectic 10 mins.

Quickly looking through there were

Coal Tit
    Great Tit
    Blue tit
    Wren
    Tree Creeper ( bottom left hand corner 1737 and 35 secs )

Thanks Richard,

I've updated the description and credited you with the ID.

• Apparently that was Incy Wincy causing the chaos with the nest cam yesterday:

WT George Anderson  to Geemeff • 

It looks like a very substantial spider web confused the autofocus just as it was getting light. The camera went through a period of repeated refocussing until finding its bearings again once it became lighter.