GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• I'm not allowing for your on-the-ballness, SHEILA, and have just come alive after a nap and gone to great trouble to do a "discovery of Aran" snap:

• No sighting of Aran this morning, so far.  2015, his first year at Glaslyn, he left on 25 September.  But he only arrived on 30 April.  I think last year he left 12 September.  So the question is, has he now left?

08:33 Heather Corfield  When he left yesterday evening he headed towards the Glaslyn river close to Moel Ddu. He could have gone to fish the river and be perched over there.
  • Good noon, SHEILA - I've been working on Starr Ranch SoCal all morning, we have a little snake in the barn owl cavity (no owls in residence) and the cams are... oh never mind.

Anyway, I thought I'd check Chat and here to see what you had to say - good luck to Heather finding Aran on-cam Hugging

• MC Aran is in view now. Heather found him hiding with a fish about an hour ago. He's now on the river bend tree as normal.
  • He must be the last one we follow, so good to see him. I just hope he stays in Iberia, and not risk the desert.
  • Amazing that he is still here to delight us Wonder whether he has gone now I wonder how far Mrs G has got? Anticipating her safe return.

Aran not the last osprey in UK LOL! My lucky niece who lives in the wilds of Yorkshire has photographed one flying overhead To say I've turned green is putting it mildly
  • How wonderful for your niece, Patily!!  Someone heading south from Scotland, no doubt.

Aran is still on the River Tree, not very obvious, with his back to us.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• Very considerately, Aran turned round!  Just as I came back to the cam I had time to capture him - he had a poo and flapped and he turned round.  A flew minutes later a flock of small birds flew up from the tree/bush in front of Aran's roost tree, but beyond the pine tree.

A flap and a turn-around

A small flock of small birds, chat suggested possibly goldfinch which makes sense, took off, but not captured

and off he goes at about 17.15

15:14   Heather Corfield  He has been around since 13.40 this afternoon, he was on A498 tree to begin with eating a fish. Then moved here at 14.11 when he had finished eating.

© Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

• There was a disturbance when Aran flew - lots of little birds emerged from a tree, it looked as tho a bigger bird disturbed them - not Aran, his fly-off was coincidental, IMHO.

Aran is still looking good - if from a rather long distance Blush