GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Aran had been fishing, and intruder followed him back to the nest, but did not land. Aran and Mrs G are both in the old oak trees, as they were this morning.
  • Just glimpsed Aran flapping on the nest - there was an intruder on the perch - male?

Cam was unable to capture Darvic but BGGW says:

8:44 PMBywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn WildlifeKA5 is the 2019 chick from Llyn Brenig - Roli

That makes him a son of dearest Blue24 Blue heart

• Oh, how fabulous!!!!!! That's brought tears to my eyes, Scylla...

• Just terrific girls. Great videos Scylla. And thanks for your posts Patily and Sheila - good news both
  • Oh what brilliant news about Roli.

Just over the moon to read he is back - thanks Scylla.

Edit:

This news about his return has also been posted on F/B

• Please please can I tell you a story ? I have actually got a life-shortening illness and in conversation with a doctor just over 2 years ago she implied I probably wouldn't be around now. When I read of Roli's exploits of catching and taking back to the nest at least 2 fish at such a tender age I thought a) that should stand him in good stead for his future survival and b) Imust hang on to see if he returns in 2 years time.......and now I have read this wonderful, wonderful news. I shouted out with glee when I read it and shed some tears of sheer joy
    THANK YOU SO MUCH SCYLLA........and don't worry, I'll be around for LOT longer yet
  • Purple heart Hugging Purple heart

Oh PATILY, that is such an emotional read - and sheer coincidence that I've just finished going back to yesterday to find the video - I hadn't followed Brenig in 2019 and didn't realise how significant KA5 was, so I've just come here to post the video and there you are, and it's immensely touching and rewarding to see how much it means to you.

Such a shame he didn't show off his Darvic.

This is Aran's start this morning, another fit-looking day:

• How utterly wonderful  - good ole Roli (do we know if Blue 24 and HR 7 have a nest this year?). Great news for you Patily and thank you for sharing -  I absolutely agree , you'll be around for a long  time yet      GrinJoy

Once again, such great videos Scylla , thank you     

• Unknown said:
    do we know if Blue 24 and HR 7 have a nest this year?

I fear there was bad news this season, but someone with better recall will give details.

• Both B24 and HR7 have not been reported as being seen as far as I'm aware, Cirrus and Scylla... Cry