GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• I completely switched off from Glaslyn today!  Recorded a couple of events from rollback:

Aran spent some time on the perch with his "poorly" wing facing us - he seemed to fly off quite well:

Unknown said:
    KC1, Welsh 2019 male from ON4, seen taking a fish from the nest this morning.

That was a shame - the cam had been focused on the precise area but had just lunged away to find someone in the air, and missed.  Thank you very much for the details, RICHARD Hugging 

Edit - title changed, following SHEILA's info below.

IMAGICAT

• I think the quick sighting of the osprey removing the fish on the nest earlier this afternoon, was Mrs G. Blue KC1(19)m from ON4/BM nest was a morning visitor, at 09.20hrs, who pinched one of two nests put out for both Mrs G and Aran. It looks as though Aran hasn't had a fish today.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Interesting!!  From Glaslyn chat

16:59 Balbuv  ​Aran? with fish?

16:59 Steve Dewsnap   ​Aran

16:59 Gail Edgley  ​he has got fish!!!

16:59 Balbu  ​defending against another one

17:00  JaneDJB1   ​Was it fresh?

17:00 Balbu  ​looked like a tail end

17:01 Gail Edgley  ​which begs the question was it him who took the earlier fish? did he get it from Mrs G? (or from somewhere else!?) or has he caught his own?

17.33  intruder calling, and Aran is on the nest.

for the past 15 minutes or so I could also hear intermittent sky dancing.

17.34  Aran calls again. looking above him.

and again from Chat

17:36 Gail Edgley the fish on the nest was rainbow trout - Aran had a tail end of a brown trout!!

I assume Gail means the fish provided by the team was a rainbow trout.  If Aran was holding a tail end of brown trout, the question is has he been fishing!!!

• Thank you, Sheila. It would be just wonderful if he was now able to fish - fingers crossed!
  • This must have about about 17.00 when Aran landed on the nest, although I have to say I couldn't see the brown trout.  Glaslyn are convinced it was a brown trout, so the question is did he get it from Mrs G, or did his catch it himself.

He intruder chipped several times.  Another osprey could be seen top right and then above the skyline.  Aran had no problem in taking off, I assume in pursuit.

17:20   Gail Edgley​   and if the intruder hadn't been around causing Aran to put in an appearance on the nest we would never have known !!!  (he had a brown trout)

17:27  Gail Edgley​ Just watched it back - Aran was intruder calling and you can see the yellow tail of the brown trout he is clutching just as he lifts his wings to take off - yeah!!!

I think there was a short sky dance at about 17.33, and Aran returned to defend the nest again!  More intruder chips, and there is a crow near the mic!!  More chipping

Aran ever watchful and chipping occasionally.  No cam shot of any intruder.

and then he flew off.

© MWT DOP

• Here's the release from Glaslyn about Aran, it looks better news than of late.

Richard B

• SheilaFE said:
    I think the quick sighting of the osprey removing the fish on the nest earlier this afternoon, was Mrs G. Blue KC1(19)m from ON4/BM nest was a morning visitor, at 09.20hrs, who pinched one of two nests put out for both Mrs G and Aran. It looks as though Aran hasn't had a fish today.

Well thank you, SHEILA Hugging

When I was checking YT rollback I thought I'd gone far enough for it to be morning, obviously not Rolling eyes  the fish which disappeared first was nearer to the cam but its "theft" was not captured, as far as I could see - the cam moved away from the nest and when it returned there was only one - I scrolled to and from a couple of times to "make sure", as I thought.

If KC1 taking the fish was captured, maybe I just missed it and someone else has it Confused

And if only my netbook hadn't died I'd have had it all on-screen with timeline Confounded

No amount of emojis is going to get me out of this hole, but I'll see if I've got Aran with fish - at least I shouldn't be looking for him on rollback!

IMAGICAT

• Unknown said:

Here's the release from Glaslyn about Aran, it looks better news than of late.

-----------------------------------------------

It certainly does, Richard. Thanks for the BGGW statement.

• OhI so hope Aran has been fishing successfully Whilst it was cheeky of KC1 to pinch a fish maybe it was the catalyst that Aran needed
  • patily said:
    Whilst it was cheeky of KC1 to pinch a fish maybe it was the catalyst that Aran needed

Good thinking, PATILY! Hugging

Here's what I've got of Aran's 2 defence visits - but it won't do us much good for ID-ing the fish:

I have to shut everything down to reboot, it's like trying to walk thru quicksand here.

IMAGICAT