GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Oh dear Scylla, not how anyone wants to spend New Year's Eve, New Year's Day maybe, as many do! Hope you feel better soon. But best wishes to you and to everyone for a happy, healthy and bird-filled year (with live birds rather than scores of avian-flu-un-live ones!) We do not need even one pandemic, certainly not two.

Kind regards, Ann

• HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone . Just the best news to end 2021 and start 2022 , Glaslyn have reached their target to build the new hide , so much for Glaslyn to look forward to , lets hope Aran and Mrs G return safely and have better luck than 2021 also Blue 014 and Blue Z1 to the PC nest , also all the 'youngsters' who were hanging around last year , another pair maybe for the Valley ? www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/.../

Valerie

• Valerie D said:
    Glaslyn have reached their target to build the new hide

Great news, thank you VALIERIE Blush

Shall we carry on with this thread till 01 March, maybe?

01 January 2022

Very little activity seen this morning but here were some" grazers":

• I'm guessing these were Geese flying off:

Wildfowlers Angry

It was very distant and misty and I've just checked Chat (history still there !!! ) - Heather steered the cam away because it was upsetting for some to see the preparations - or something like that.

• In contrast to the Barnegat Heron, our Welsh lad/ess foraged in flooded fields on a grey afternoon:

• Brrrrr, cold grey days in the Glaslyn but interesting videos all the same and gratefully received Scylla. Thank you. (Hope the wildfowlers had a poor day - was it hunters or ringers?)
  • Hunters, I think, Cirrus. Looked like each had a gun, they had at least one dog--a Lab possibly, and one man set out a line of decoy ducks on the flooded field nearest to the rock pile where they were sitting. A couple of posters on YouTube the previous evening heard shotgun shots--my sound is almost never on 'cuz it disturbs Mr GB, especially if he is doing a cryptic crossword, watching a cookery competition, or dozing off! I am probably watching the telly then, too, as well as keeping an eye on YT chat. Watching the nest on its own at night after the Ospreys have gone off is rather boring, even for the easily amused--lol! It is 80 feet up so only seems to have night visits from curious Owls when the Ospreys are in residence, although others with sound on now in the winter report many Owl calls, both Barn and Tawny.

Kind regards, Ann

• Unknown said:
    was it hunters or ringers?)

Hunters, apparently.

Cam went down around 13:40 :(((

Stately procession started to break up:

Goosander diving:

• scylla said:
    Cam went down around 13:40 :(((

Still no cam :(((

• Thank you Gardenbirder for your response. I did note the dog and wondered.
    Yes, Scylla , the goosander did indeed light up a dismal day. Thank you