GLASLYN OSPREYS - APRIL 2021 to end of FEB 2022

March thread.

This post updated 01 June

MrsG returned on the 25th of March and was joined by Aran on the 29th.

(The beginning of the reunion video is a must-see for all fans of MrsG - I'm posting it today 01 June, to remind us of a happy time before the tragedies of May 2021.)

The month of May brought unrelenting wind, rain and corvids, as well as persistent intruder KS8 (among others) - and Aran somehow injured his right wing, rendering him unable to fish.  Within a few days all the chicks had sickened and died.  It could hardly have been more stressful for MrsG and Aran, but they are recovering together while the caring Glaslyn team is supplying fish each night.

(The chicks' bodies have been removed from the nest by Aran and MrsG, so we shall never know the cause of their deaths.)

In the right margin of this page are links to Glaslyn's posts documenting the misfortunes on the nest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All pictures and videos in this thread are (link to website)

©Bywyd Gwyllt Glaslyn Wildlife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, Mike. Hope the builders make a fabulous new hide, even better than was asked for. Wonder what they will do with the bits they take away...

Kind regards, Ann

• Ann, the old hide is being salvaged by a local chap to make a shed. See Heathers comments on the previous page.

The design of the hide is shown here:- www.glaslynwildlife.co.uk/.../
  • Thank you Mike for a reminder of the blog about the new hide. Do you know where it is in relation to the VC? Perhaps I was too interested in talking to Heather & co when I visiting during my visits during my week at Criccieth, way back in 2018, but I don't recall seeing a hide! I thought I could see enough from the VC!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Mike wrote the following post at 2 Dec 2021 10:51 AM:

MC. Goosander in view around 1020

I did see it, MIKE, but could only have repeated your snap to within a few degrees of identicality Stuck out tongue winking eye 

Today, 3 similar-shaped "ducks" absolutely motored along the river, but there was too much cam-jerking for a video, I couldn't get them all in one shot and didn't get to see where they ended up:

Our solo swan was "standing by" while 5 migratories (can't tell what) lined up and took off, only to disappear into the trees - fate unknown Astonished 

Oh dear!  Buzzard was on Pont Croesor perch and I accidentally deleted it - still, it wouldn't have been different from the last one I posted, except no pestering corvids Blush 

One of the Egrets was fishing.

Whatever was this stuff floating along?  Pollutiing?

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, Mike, I had seen Heather's comment earlier on but I misunderstood about some of the old hide being used for a shed--thought it meant that the builders were going to build a shed for themselves or someone else somewhere else. Completely missed the idea that it might be a shed for Glaslyn--sorry! It is true that the current shed is tiny; Glaslyn certainly could use another shed or an enlarged shed.

Sheila, the visitor centre and the current tiny shed are side by side along the Glaslyn river and the old hide is just a bit further down along the river. Sorry, I am terrible about distances but the hide is possibly 20 metres away from the VC.

Kind regards, Ann

• 04 December

The river's been rough in patches today:

Plenty of Swans, a Goosander, and a Heron seen - but not very snap-friendly.

IMAGICAT

• Duck versus Pike maybe (hope not) 5 white swans as opposed to gold rings. 5 is the number of Grace. And thank you Scylla for another watercolour painting

• Unknown said:
    Duck versus Pike maybe

Apparently it was a Coot - but actually I was wondering what the "litter" was that the Coot seemed to be trying to outswim Thinking

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    I was wondering what the "litter"

Could  it be 'Peat Foam' after the heavy rains???( But hey ,what do I know.... CHOL:):)

or saw this on

Google

"When leaves, twigs or other organic substances fall into water and begin decaying, they release compounds known as surfacants. This interaction breaks the surface tension, which in turn allows air to more easily mix with water and creates bubbles. These bubbles congregate as natural foam."

What's that foam in the water? - RappFLOW

https://www.rappflow.org › resources › faq