Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 February 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Roll on spring!

Jacob's Ladder Wildflowers
Glacier National Park
U.S. National Park Service, NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• LINDY I had been wondering about the Tatton show as well and guessed it would be cancelled.

OG Good to hear from you. Hope you all keep well.

Clare You will be relieved you have a date for the vaccine.
  • Quiet on here, as it often is on a Saturday. We've had really springlike sunshine here, and the window cleaner appeared, to give us a good view!

Had a giggly Amber (our granddaughter) on the phone, who is excited to be going back to school in a week. Not as thrilled as her poor parents! It's been hard for everyone to keep up the home schooling and work from home at the same time.
  • There's nothing as good as a good friend (and a hug from them, which we all need at the moment)

• Morning all:

AQ: A nice visit, but you earned a bonus Nanny Nap.

Lindybird: I kinda thought they should have prioritized teachers so the schools could open and all those parents who've quietly been going bonkers for the last year could get a break!

I'm off to buy a Scarlet Trumpet Vine to replace a naughty Potato Vine.....
  • ANNETTE, Why is it a naughty Potato Vine? Will the Scarlet Trumpet vine be better behaved?
  • Rosy:   Our Potato Vine (actually Solanum Jasminoides)  languished much of last summer and fall after many years of fabulous blossoms.  I've had several since we moved here; they were wonderful for some years but then become leggy and puny. I pruned this one heavily some years back and it came back beautifully, but not the last time and I'm not sure why.  I probably did something wrong..   (I didn't buy a Scarlet Trumpet Vine but opted for a Royal one (Distictis Rivers), which has purple blooms with yellow throats.  I had a Scarlet one in Long Beach on a fence on the driveway that seemed to bloom all year. It spread all the way along the fence and then along the top of the garage door and finally over the covered porch.  It would've taken over the entire house if I'd let it.)  Overall I found the distictis easier to prune than the solanum, which has narrow tendrils that really do tie themselves up in knots and are hard to 'follow' when pruning..  Ha!  More info that you ever wanted.  :-)