Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 31 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

February 1 is Imbolc (or Imbolg), the old Gaelic festival marking the coming of spring and traditionally celebrated throughout Scotland, Ireland, and the Isle of Man. It falls about halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. We're almost to the time of warmer weather (cooler weather for you, AQ)! Yay! I'm so hoping for an early spring, so we'll only have about 4 or 5 more weeks of the cold. 

I hope everyone has an easy week!

Marsh Marigold wildflowers, Shenandoah National Park
U.S. National Park Service: NPS
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Annette: Lindy is absolutely right. Sound quality has decreased, unless you have super expensive equipment. I read that it's because TVs are now so very thin. People wanted very thin TVs that they can hang on the wall (above a fireplace, etc.). But when the TV is that thin, manufacturers have to sacrifice the bigger hardware that's required to produce clear, crisp sound.

• Lindy: You are also correct about the mumbling. It drives me crazy!!! Like Rosy, I often use subtitles. 

Be careful with that microwave. This is a true story (honestly, it is). I had an old microwave make that "BANG!" sound and start to smoke, so I unplugged it. I looked for an explanation on the internet, and I read that the sound results from an electrical short. I had already unplugged it, so I didn't think much about it. Later in the evening, I was lying in bed reading and I heard an odd sound--a murmuring sound. I got up to investigate and followed the noise to the kitchen. THE MICROWAVE WAS RUNNING. It was also producing an alarming chemical-smelling smoke. It was still unplugged!!! I turned to the internet again, and I read that microwaves can indeed turn themselves on--even if they are unplugged--when there's a serious electrical short. It's because they retain electricity for a while. You might want to take that microwave to a place where you can get rid of it away from your house. My experience scared me!

• OMG Diane.......

That's scary! Turned it off last night and its OK but it's going to have to be taken to The Tip, for disposal, so I will get my OH to put it outside until he's got time to go there.

Very cold here now but don't think we will get snow. Had an amusing chat to our granddaughter Amber, on Zoom, but mainly she just wanted to see Bonnie!!
  • LINDY: If I remember right, the electricity short was caused by the door of the microwave. It had gotten bent and wasn't aligning correctly, so it wasn't closing properly.

I'm posting this link only because I don't want people to think I'm goofy. I know my story above sounds delusional. LOL

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-reasons-why-a-microwave-might-turn-on-by-itself

• Diane: Not goofy at all.

Just back from getting first Covid vaccine jab.  All very well organized in the hospital's parking lot (we stayed in our cars) with docs and nurses in attendance, not to mention traffic coordinators. It had a kind of festive air.  Doc told me people get more of a reaction from the second shot.  OH off getting his now.

• Thanks Diane for starting us off with a lovely cheerful picture. Apparently we had a beautiful full moon a couple of days ago - the Wolf moon lighting up the night sky.

Oh Diane, don't like the sound of that snow - I expect you might be snowed in then. Keep warm and safe.
  • Beautiful sunrise,, Lindybird.

Due to go for my jab on Tuesday but Dau has a positive lateral test (re school community ) so has to now go for a proper test at one our local outlets tomorrow. My appt is for Tuesday afternoon so don't know when we will get her results for. Still hoping to go but might have to postpone until after 10 days time, a real setback but can't do much about it.l

Oh dear Lindy, hope you managed to get yourself a new microwave. I remember something similar happening to mine a few years back.
  • Drat, I forgot it’s first of month & slow site until our late afternoon. My appt this morn at 9.15 with chat to zap Doc at 9.40. I left home early as I was not sure how the traffic would be at school delivery time. I was early, easy-peasy got a park, wandered in, was zapped, had chat & was out by 9.22. So I was knitting in library car park until library opened at 10 am. Found three books. Not much sleep last night (too much yesterday arvo & evening) hence I slept for 2½ hours after lunch. Until woken by Mr Orange Hi Vis Shirt knocking at door. Power will be out for 45 mins sometime between 9 & 5 on Wed 10th. Today is a pleasant sunny breezy day, 24 C. What a waste to sleep through. One more zap. Yeay!
  • Just a thought

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us. (Samuel Smiles)

• Good Morning. We have a double problem getting on here today, as AQ says it's not only the 1st of the month, but lots of people coming on with their Bird Watch results, too, which always causes problems.

A great quote, AQ! Like that one!

Lynette, hope things don't get too complicated for your daughter and that you can soon get your jab.

Sunshine out of the window today, yay!