Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 January 2021

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe week, and you all find some joy. 

Sunrise through the Lodgepole Pines
Yellowstone National Park
US National Park Service NPS/Jacob W. Frank
Photo labeled public domain (copyright free). 

Thought you might like this (edited a little by me as ingredients may offend!) 

He remains a figure of fun in spite of leaving office!

• Morning all:     The odd distribution of Covid shots is international.  California decided everyone over 75 should get it, then dropped the age limit to 65.  They yesterday we got an e-mail from our local hospital inviting people 75 and over (no younger they stressed) to register for the next batch of vaccine.  When that arrives, we'll have to go online for an appointment and the e-mail warned "slots go fast."    Cases also seem to be dropping here.

I had the TV on most of yesterday, although I recorded it all and can dip back in if I feel like it.  Such a relief, but shouted at TV last night when they showed recordings DT (please no, enough!!) departing DC and arriving in Mara Lago, where according to the Washington Post this morning, many neighbors aren't thrilled to see him or his offspring, who've been spotted house-hunting and where the real estate agents are already getting complaints (as in "there goes the neighborhood").  Meanwhile, it's going to be a relief not to dread turning on the news every night.. ..

OG: Good to see you finally woke up!  :-)  

AQ:  Halfway mark already - brilliant!

Lindybird:  That's hysterical!!!!!   :-))

Stay dry and warm (or cool) everyone.

• Lindy - Great wine label, even edited. Wish I could use it for our church news sheet but we are Methodists and even though some of us enjoy the odd glass of wine (very odd, in my case!) I don't want to offend anyone.

Annette - Perhaps that's his plan ... buy up all available property, drive out the current residents and start taking over the world from there ... He tried it in Scotland and now a lot of golfers won't play on his courses. It would be nice if he just quietly faded into the background, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.
  • PAT - you've just reminded me - when I was young, in the Methodist church, it wasn't just abstinence from alcohol. Dancing was frowned upon as well. So when I married a Catholic lad ( also disapproved of) I was quite discombobulated when at a Parish function the priest was joining in with the dancing !!!
  • In the light of current events:
    "The test of a democracy is not the magnificence of buildings or the speed of automobiles or the efficiency of air transportation, but rather the care given to the welfare of all the people." -Helen Adams Keller, lecturer and author (27 Jun 1880-1968)

Kind regards, Ann

• Heather:  That reminds me of the time I was in San Antonio Texas (on business) and visited the old Spanish missions there.  A wedding between an older couple was taking place with a Mexican mariachi band in attendance.  After the vows were said, the band was playing and the couple started dancing right in front of the altar. Families joined in, nobody seemed bothered.  It was lovely.  Then there was the time when I was 14 and the nuns in our school took some of us to Switzerland for a visit. We stayed at a Catholic convent; went to Mass both Sundays: Once at a Swiss church where things were very quiet and reverential and the other at an Italian church, where young people were flirting and making eyes at each other, kids were running about and the priest ended up blowing a whistle to keep everyone in place for Ite Missa Est (Go, the Mass is ended).   Amazing.  

• ANNETTE - well I've seen a few things in church over the years but never a priest with a whistle ! Maybe he had a second job as a traffic policeman - only an Italian policeman puts as much effort into trying to control the crazy drivers by blowing a whistle and jumping up and down, usually to no avail :-)

• OG - I'm so pleased that you found it a little easier to wake up today.
    Don't work too hard on the newsletter etc !

• Hi, all. I'm going to catch up with replies. I've been really busy, and yesterday I was focused on the TV all day. I hope you all are safe from the flooding in the U.K. Some of it looked dire.

OG: I am so, so relieved that you are improving. Good news for you and Eagle Eye. Hope you're able to get your mammogram over soon.

AQ: YAY!!! You've made it to the halfway point. I'm proud of you. I hope it continues to go well. Hang in there...it'll be over before you know it. I loved the photos of the showering birds.

HEATHER: Lovely that your granddaughter took her first bird photo! Sorry you're facing a noisy summer.

LINDY, Harelady, and Pat: I'm so glad you all will get your vaccination! I hope you react well and have no issues. Hopefully, the entire U.K. population will be vaccinated soon.

CLARE: I'm hoping that Limpy will get his immediately, and I hope they give you one, too, especially because caregivers need to stay healthy.

HARELADY and HEATHER: I so hope the economic trouble your family members are facing will come to end. That kind of stress makes life miserable, and no one deserves it. (Believe me, I know.)

LINDY: Oh, dear. That flooding at your patch looked bad. I hope your house didn't sustain any hidden damage. That kind of flooding is scary. Glad you're okay. Hope your lovely plants will survive.

Dibnlib: So lovely for you to see the glorious red squirrels! I think they are beautiful.

Annette: Had to laugh at your coffee catastrophe! Yikes. Seriously, I do hope you could get the stain out of the carpet and that your iPhone wasn't harmed! Also, I hope you don't have to go to Library Jail because you got coffee on the books! NPR said that a legal agreement Trump signed when he created Mar-a-Lago specifies that no member can make the club a permanent residence. No one can stay there more than 3 nonconsecutive months per year. I see a legal battle coming...

Hello to bjane, Rosy, SunnyKate, and anyone I've missed. Hope you're well.

• Gardenbirder: That's a wonderful quote!!! Hope you are well!