Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 December 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

I'm sending best wishes to everyone. I know this is a hard end to a hard year. I hope you all find some peace and joy for the season.

Cardinal in the Snow
Shenandoah National Park
US National Park Service/N.Lewis
Photo labeled public domain (copyright free)

• I'll give the chocolate a miss, AQ !
  • Good morning, all. It has been a thoroughly wet and miserable winter solstice here today but on the plus side I am now in possession of the Dyfi 2021 calendar and the beautiful Monty book - yay!

I hope most of you are getting better weather than we are today.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• aquilareen said:
    I believe that the greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you.

Amen to that!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - If anything our weather is probably worse! I don't think it's stopped raining for more than the odd hour for about ten days. Will we see the wonderful promised conjunction of the planets this evening? Not unless this lot clears away we won't!

By the way, I'm back on Jigsaw Planet. I discovered last week that I can change the number of pieces in a puzzle, so can now do all of them on my small screen. So that's keeping my screen time up ... must switch off more often!!
  • Morning all:   Sorry about the dire weather

AQ:  Loved the chocolate story.  Stories like that make me wonder what other fascinating historical bits and bobs are lurking in peoples' attics and basements.  Didn't realize that Cadbury's were pacifists.  And "Banjo" Paterson is such an Oz name.  :-)  Congrats on getting out and about.  Ms D (also 9) has a similar stash of science and nature books. I got her a "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" book this  year and a 'how things work' book,  the title of which I've forgotten.

PatO: Do you ever use the 'ghost' feature on Jigsaw Planet?  I actually prefer 'real' jigsaws but haven't got around to my new Starry Night one yet.  Speaking of which, I think we'll be lucky and have a good view of Jupiter and Saturn tonight.  Have set a reminder on my phone.

Take care all.

• Haven't found the 'ghost' feature, Annette. What does it do?

The Cadbury family and the Rowntree family - and others - were Quakers and therefore definitely pacifists. They did a lot of great work for their employees, building whole towns to house them (Bournville was the largest, I believe).

Not sure we will see Jupiter and Saturn tonight. It's been horrible all day and so far nothing is visible in the sky. We are told they will appear for a few days, gradually getting fainter, so hopefully it will be a bit clearer tomorrow. Although the forecast actually says it's going to get worse. Bahhhhh ...
  • Pat O said:
    Haven't found the 'ghost' feature, Annette. What does it do?

Just passing through and chipping in,pleased you found the Tab, at top ,to change the number of pieces, on that tab if you click on custom you can also change numbers using the slider and also change the shape of the pieces..

re the Ghost .... click on bottom right, second tab, you then get a greyed out picture, and by dragging it ,onto ,the puzzle you are doing ,it is in the background, so you can work out where a piece may go.

Ghost

ALSO on the bottom if you click the first tab gives a True image of finished pic, that you can refer to whilst your are working, by leaving it in a spare space, say maybe top left,then when you click on it whilst working you can enlarge it from 25% 50% 75% 100% , then reduce when you want to start working again..

Enjoy

• Thanks SunnyKate! :-)

PatO:  Thanks for the additional info re Cadbury's.  Was clueless about Bournville.  Must now go find out where it is.

• Thank you, SunnyKate. That will add even more fun to the puzzles. I really must reduce my screen time, though - my eyes are complaining!

Annette - Enjoy your research. I'm sure you will - both families, and so many others, are so interesting. Bournville is on the south west side of Birmingham. Once you have learned about the families you will never approach a bar of chocolate in the same way!
  • Once went on a WI coach trip to see how Cadbury products were made. We passed through part of the Bourneville area, and were told how they had had a school especially built, etc., they were very much before their time in the area of workers healthcare and conditions. The chocolate smell in the factory was amazing!!

Have had a busy day - started with my sleeves rolled up, ready for action and have got lots done. However, now I'm beginning to flag a bit.....