Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 18 October 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week with moments of joy and contentment!

Stay strong, my friends. 

Some of you may like this Facebook post from Dr. Sharon Blackie, Irish psychologist and mythologist. HERE

• These are hard times for everyone, but must be especially difficult for those bereaved. I spoke to my cousin this morning, and she is still coming to terms with losing her husband two years ago - she does have a daughter not too far away and two grandchildren, but is being very careful with everything she does and sees very few people: she's finding it tough and I was searching for something to say to help, but all I can do is sympathise.

It's certainly best to try and remember better times, and count your blessings, as said by Heather. We all have to take things a day at a time I suppose. We are lucky not to live in tower blocks with nothing green in sight. I'm certainly grateful for that.
  • HARELADY /LINDY- you are so right, we must be grateful for the happy times. I got to the point where I was resenting other folks' apparent contentment, even on here. Then I realised or should I say, remembered, that everyone has had their dark times and threads like this are a good thing, sharing good and bad but mostly good!

• HEATHER So glad your son is coming up. I hope he is able to cheer you up. It is not always easy to count your blessings when you are feeling down.

OG. It is not just the fact that they all pretend they don't know who their partner will be but also pretend their nominated partner was their 1st choice. All so false. Having said that we did enjoy last nights programme.
  • Heather, I nearly deleted what I had written above, as it all sounds far too simplified and trite. I do sympathise but of course, only you know what it's like to "walk in your shoes".

I know I'm very lucky, and am grateful every day, but I have had dark moments and have had to nip them in the bud quickly as I've had quite bad depression at least three times in my life, and I know how quickly it can take over. It's no exaggeration to say that it's only the love for my children that means I'm still here on this earth, as I couldn't bear to leave them. This was not recently, I hasten to add.

It's been cheering to see some of the wonderful people who are still trying to keep their communities thriving and cheerful. I also don't know what I'd do without the radio, and music. It's a lifeline for me.

• Dibnlib: We enjoyed Strictly and they do make a bit of a song & dance about it, if you'll forgive the pun!! We're looking forward to watching the dances without all the usual whooping and hollering....
  • LINDY - you have shared something deeply personal and I thank you for that and for your support x
  • Lindybird said:
    It's no exaggeration to say that it's only the love for my children that means I'm still here on this earth, as I couldn't bear to leave them.

Ouch, Lindy.  That's frightening.

I've never been quite that low but I'm very prone to sitting feeling absolutely worthless (which tends to lead to my stuffing my face with junk food).  A few years ago I was still working - now I'm living on a combination of Carer's Allowance and whatever Limpy can spare.  I still have people asking me if I've got a job yet and I'm my husband's full-time carer ...... but somehow that doesn't count as employment to so many people because I get a state benefit for it, not a salary.  It's as depressing as hell and I've really had to kick myself into trying to improve my own physical and mental health this year, as both Limpy and I depend on it.  I've made a reasonable start ......... I just hope I can keep it up.

Heather - good to see you posting again!

• Clare: I've had times in life when I've had absolutely no money whatsoever, and it certainly keeps your feet on the ground. But in those times you have to think that The Only Way is Up. We do have a reasonable standard of living in this country, for the most part these days.
    I try to remember that when he was young, my father saw children on the streets of Liverpool with bare feet. My mother told me of hard times when she was a girl. Her father was a painter and decorator, and their bedrooms were painted in a rainbow of colours, according to the leftover paint! Those whose houses he painted had far more possessions.But theirs was a house full of love and care, which stood her in good stead. Life is what you make it, I was told.
    The internet is both a blessing and a curse - we can see how others live and be jealous, or repulsed, like never before. We can complain, and whinge like never before. (The politicians all take advantage of this).
    We each have our own path, but I like the saying that personal happiness is the best revenge.

• Before bed, I must post a poem I saw today on another internet page: it reminds us of autumn and its glories.

The Autumn

Go, sit upon the lofty hill,
    And turn your eyes around.
    Where waving woods and waters wild
    Do hymn an autumn sound.
    The summer sun is faint on them -
    The summer flowers depart -
    Sit still - as all transform'd to stone,
    Except your musing heart.

Elizabeth Barrrett Browning. (There are more verses, if you find the poem.)

• HI all: Safely home after a tiring drive with stop-and-start traffic for about 13 miles starting in Palm Springs with no obvious cause, then occasional bottlenecks through LA. People seem to be out and about more of late. All in all a good visit without too many hiccups, but good to be home again.

Some lovely and empathetic posts today. Hugs to all..... Eyes are glazing.....