Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 13 September 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The new moon (the dark moon) is Thursday, 17 September. 

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, happy week!

I saw this meme today. I liked it, so I thought I'd put the link HERE. Dr. Sharon Blackie is an Irish writer, psychologist, and mythologist. 

• Unknown said:
    OH had a text today – our NHS surgery is not doing any flu jabs – we are to wait to hear from NHS Board!

That's appalling.  Limpy is having his this Saturday - I've been invited to have one but as I've never managed to get flu in more than 51 years of life I've declined.  I think the NHS needs to target the people who really need it.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I had my flu jab last week, as did all my neighbours. A quick 'in and out' ... Something else to tick off the list!
  • Morning all:  In addition to docs' offices, he pharmacies here give flu shots - also Costco. I went in to pick up a prescription the other week and the pharmacist asked if I wanted one, so yes. Also, they give them free in community centers. Will I rush to get Mr. T's Covid vaccine that he assures us will be available "in just a few weeks"? I think not.

Window shades are being installed this morning; thank heaven. Won't have to wear dark glasses at my desk anymore - just kidding.

Take care.

• Annette - You probably can't answer this, but I'll try anyway. How is it that the cleverest medical and scientific people in America say any vaccine 'may' be ready for third quarter 2021, but one person says it will be ready in a few weeks? Could it possibly be that he expects it to be ready before the election?????
  • PatO:  No, he, personally, probably knows it won't be ready until 2021, but he wants his starry-eyed supporters to believe it.  And if it isn't there by election day, he'll claim it's being withheld by the Deep State.

• Annette - I'm sure you realised it wasn't a serious question ...! I think most of the world knows it won't be ready until 2021, but, as he has been doing for the past four years, he thinks if he says something loudly enough, often enough and with what passes for conviction, he might win more votes. Sadly, it seemed to work for him last time. Let's hope the great American people have learned this time ...

We are having a lovely Indian Summer here at the moment - lots of sunshine and really quite warm. It would be good if it could manage to last a few more days, although unfortunately the forecast seems to think it will come to a damp end next week. And guess when I'm going to be able to see my sister for the first time since early March ... yup. Ho hum ...
  • Unknown said:
    Mr. T's Covid vaccine

There is only one Mr T ......... the bloke from the A Team.  Now he'd make an interesting President.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I had a "drive in" flu jab for the first time ever!! We were reminded by text this morning to wear something sleeveless, and a mask, when we arrived at the venue, a local Youth Club. I drove into the gates and was directed around the large car park towards a girl who took my details, then I was beckoned to a doctor who gave me my jab, through the open car window, and off I drove! Two or three minutes!!

My OH missed his chance for it, and had to queue up on foot at another venue this afternoon. We sat in the garden after lunch and listened to our local robin, who seems to be particularly vocal at present. Wish I could bottle his melodious sounds!

I went to the charity shop and I've done the ironing, plus writing some cheques, not something we do much nowadays.
    Lots of banging around next door, where they seem to be getting on with completely remodelling the bathroom. The bath they removed is now buried in the skip on the driveway, it's one of those which is freestanding and expensive looking, so seems such a waste.
  • Quick trip out this morn for some bread. I could have managed but I needed to visit library. Not happy – A book I ordered on inter-library loan in July is no longer in the system. Back then, there were at least a dozen copies spread across the libraries in the state. How could they cull it while I had a request posted? Not vital to my existance, just annoying. It is the third book unavailable this year; the other two were “lost”. I was glad to get home as it was HOT, well, almost 30 C. Yo-yo weather, yesterday 23, tomorrow 21 and rain. OH was out to lunch and I wasted my free time watching press conferences re Victoria’s latest virus numbers (going down) and the PM announcing the number of returning Aussies allowed in is to be increased. Currently capped at 4,000 per week so that compulsory 14-day hotel quarantine can cope. Those in quarantine are tested at beginning and on day 12. Otherwise we are advised to be tested even if we have the slightest of symptoms.
  • Arguing with a fool proves there are two. (Doris M. Smith)

You know, you’re rather amusingly wrong. (Terry Pratchett)

Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. (Robert J. Sawyer)