Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK, HAPPY NEW MONTH, and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, joyful week! 

The full Harvest Moon is 2 September. It's late on the night of 1 September for Annette.

For the gardeners on this thread, HERE is a photo of cardinal flowers blooming on the prairie at a state park near my hometown. Cardinal flowers (lobelia cardinalis) are wildflowers native to our prairie. It's a member of the Bluebell family. They depend on hummingbirds for pollination. I just thought they were a happy sight.

• Interesting 'gannet conversation'. My most amazing gannet story was many years ago when I was playing golf just down the coast from St Andrews. I was playing with two Americans and another Brit, none of whom had seen gannets before. The area is just across from Bass Rock, a major gannet area. There were dozens fishing off the coast, and we stopped to watch. The group behind us - obviously not as keen on a rare ornithological experience - shouted us to 'get on with it', so we had to leave the gannets. But I am still in touch with one of the group, and she remembers the experience - not for the golf, but for the gannets!
  • Morning all:  Feeling fat and lethargic today; small wonder.   Nice to have Clare around to sort us out about gannets.  Now I look at Lindy's photo properly, that is indeed a huge bird!  

Our supermarkets have been pretty busy for some time, but several are still restricting numbers.  People seem more relaxed and don't veer away from each other as before but are still cautious.  Wearing a mask gets discombobulating when combined with sunglasses and especially when I've forgotten to take out the ear bud thingies for my iPhone.  I find myself in stores with a mask, sunglasses and ear thingies and wondering why I can't read labels or hear anyone. I seem to be taking off and putting on the wrong things in the wrong order..  Not only that, but my mask strings are now starting to catch on my regular glass frames.  Who is that confused old darling getting wobbly in the dairy department?  Arghhh.

Diane:  Any luck fighting City Hall?

• Pat, I like your gannet story. Not something one would forget, really!

Clare, thank you for the lovely picture of a gannet: what a massive wingspan. I could see that its folded wings were large, but I didn't like to touch it and pull one out to its length as I didn't have any way to wash my hands afterwards, and also, we were trying to get Bonnie to lose interest in it, so I just took a quick picture on my phone. She is a small version of a spaniel, but nevertheless you can see how big the bird looks next to her.

Annette, that carrot cake sounded really good, so I wouldn't have regrets! I have been trying out wearing a headband to keep my unruly long hair out of my face - still haven't had it cut, since late February! Sue asked me the other day why I wasn't wearing one when she saw me, but I explained that as I wear glasses, and then clamp a facemask on to go shopping, having something else on my head was just too much! Its all I can do to cope with putting my mask on and off, and trying to adjust it so that it doesn't steam up my glasses.....

Just been in the garden doing some satisfying clipping of things which are getting out of hand, to tidy everything up a bit. My OH has been to the allotment and brought back some lovely fresh green beans for us to enjoy with our roast chicken tonight. I feel as if a large glass of white wine will be in order to enjoy with the chicken!
  • I still have a few more photos, somewhere... I'll take a look later and see which ones I missed off my descriptions as everyone seems to have enjoyed them. Today I snapped the farmer at the back of our house who is busy harvesting before it rains again. In the years we have been living here (since 2003) I have taken various pictures at all times of year and with all kinds of crops and activities going on in the fields we can enjoy from our vantage point here. I keep saying that one day (Hah! One day....) I will get lots of copies of all the pics and put them in order in an album for us to enjoy looking through. But of course there is never time.
  • I still have a few more photos, somewhere... I'll take a look later and see which ones I missed off my descriptions as everyone seems to have enjoyed them. Today I snapped the farmer at the back of our house who is busy harvesting before it rains again. In the years we have been living here (since 2003) I have taken various pictures at all times of year and with all kinds of crops and activities going on in the fields we can enjoy from our vantage point here. I keep saying that one day (Hah! One day....) I will get lots of copies of all the pics and put them in order in an album for us to enjoy looking through. But of course there is never time.
  • Lindybird said:
    Its all I can do to cope with putting my mask on and off, and trying to adjust it so that it doesn't steam up my glasses.....

Try a face shield.  It sits on a foam/elasticated headband and doesn't touch your face.  I had to get one when I kept finding myself on the edge of blind panic while wearing a mask as I could never quite breathe properly in one.  The shield is much better ..... and accommodates my glasses.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• When I wear a face mask my brain stops working. Only once have I been in a situation where I have had to wear one ... and I'm not going to repeat it any time soon! If I nip into a shop I use a scarf which does, of course, take one hand so not ideal for a big supermarket shop. But for just one item, it's fine.