Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 August 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK, HAPPY NEW MONTH, and HAPPY FULL MOON!

I hope everyone has a safe, healthy, joyful week! 

The full Harvest Moon is 2 September. It's late on the night of 1 September for Annette.

For the gardeners on this thread, HERE is a photo of cardinal flowers blooming on the prairie at a state park near my hometown. Cardinal flowers (lobelia cardinalis) are wildflowers native to our prairie. It's a member of the Bluebell family. They depend on hummingbirds for pollination. I just thought they were a happy sight.

• Past the tiny beach and the boats, on our way back to the car. Lots of people enjoying the sunshine on a lovely morning.

• Trio came in shyly, and thawed when I offered hugs all round. They presented G-pa with homemade cards for Father’s Day (next Sunday in Aussieland), plus chocs from Dau. Their dog was so excited running from room to room, no time to stop for a pat, out the back door to upset the nasty noisy miners who are claiming our backyard, back inside to collapse for a milli-second. Trio played on floor, Dau noticed bathroom curtain becoming unattached one end, s-i-l repaired (now I have curtains to wash). A’tea demolished, more play and it was home time. Today is a pupil-free day, another day is book week parade, and Friday a lunchtime stall for Father’s Day. I asked Dau when were they getting educated. The parade means they dress up to represent their favourite book. Dau has brain washed them to first choose a dress-up from the box, then find a matching book. So, butterfly wings, tiger suit and, of course, MissL will be a cat.

Noisy miners were attracted when OH planted Aussie natives such as grevilleas in our front garden. They are really noisy, especially now they are nesting. They call loudly whenever we go out outside, swear at me while I hang washing, and we were here first!

• Just a thought

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

• Bonnie:  What a big pink tongue you have!

Lindybird:  Just gorgeous photos.  Thank you for the two-minute escape.  :-)

AQ:  Interesting about the miners liking nectar (or am I just clueless?)   Hope your OH survived the visit.  How old are all the kiddies now?   How old is the busy grandchild in Canberra?  

Did not get to OH's office today as he was busy identifying all the cables to and from various electronics.  I told him I'd taken photos of the configuration, but he insists on making labels and taping them to the appropriate bits and bobs.  Whatever works.....  Got three other things on the list taken care of and just managed to squeeze my car back into the garage and was able to get in and out too.  

• ANNETTE – Yep, you are clueless [sorry, laughing], Noisy miners are in the honeyeater family. BTW “noisy” is part of their name not my description, although it is very apt. Eldest g-d is 24, next is one month off 9, last are 6. OH behaved very well, but is super tired today.

LINDA – I forgot to thank you for today’s travel excursion. I clicked on all to see them better. Too bad Aussies are not allowed to travel overseas. <sigh>

• Good Morning. Sunny start again, here. Nice for those having a long weekend on the Bank Holiday.

Glad my photos were enjoyed: I had to alter most of them as they wouldn't post right away, but I wanted to give you a virtual tour.

AQ - Sounds like a successful afternoon, even if you're both tired now. How they all grow! You did right to click on the photos, as there is more detail to be seen.

• Good morning - good weather here again today. OH gone to Dumfries - he goes to M&S there now, instead of risking Carlisle after all its covid misdemeanours! Also dropping off the curtains at Timpsons in Morrisons. Next will be bedroom curtains, ours then J's - only keep one pair spare to move around when they are missing. J is still in a lot of pain - particularly in left shoulder. I slept well, only one wake-up at about 3 am.

LINDA - lovely photos from Wales and that tongue!

AQ - pleased Sunday afternoon went well and that OH behaved! Hope you both had a good rest today.

I should be catching up on letters and emails, but they are the last things I really feel like doing! Silly really, as they should be easiest sitting thing, but I would much prefer to be organising something useful - preferable with some flinging involved!
  • Hello all
    Thank you to DIANE and everyone for pics and posts -
    It's a dull day here and the heating is on. Lemon sole for lunch and a quiet day at home for me. Eldest daughter and OH plus Katie were here on Saturday for a curry takeaway.
    Next weekend I hope to have youngest family also middle daughter and Amy here for a repeat! It would be lovely if all three local families could come together but we are adhering to guidelines, no more than eight in the house etc. My Welsh friend thinks we are being too careful, says that because it is family it is OK. I just haven't got the energy to explain anything to her....
  • Unknown said:

Annette: Yes, this part of the Great Lakes/Midwest is a tinderbox. People are on edge, and many are openly carrying guns. Honestly, I don't even like going to the supermarket anymore. I put it off as long as I can. I stay on my own land.

That is possibly the most frightening thing I've ever read on the Community.  It's very hard to know what to say ....... what's going on is, in many ways, so much more life-threatening than Covid.  I really hope you stay safe, but that's clearly far from easy.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE - how lovely to "see" you after all this time, but sad that it took such a dreadful subject to bring you back. How are you these days - still working at Minsmere? And how is Helen - what is she doing now?